Tire fit confusion, due to offset/rim width differences | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire fit confusion, due to offset/rim width differences

Well, been looking through some threads, seeing posts of guys showing fitting 265/76/16 tires and such on stock suspensions and wheels.

I have sort of a problem...My wheels are a 16x8 with a -6mm offset. I've found out that this is good, and bad. Good, bringing my tire further away from the suspension, bad causing my tires to be closer to valance/flare on turns.

I was fine on my stock 255/70's, but when I went up to a 265/70, I started to catch the very tip of the valance, and the rear edge of my flare when cutting the wheels....something that most people don't have a problem with on stock setups....keep in mind, i also have a TT, and shackles, still rubbed....right now I don't rub, trimmed the valance real nice, and also the flare too...

Reading some posts about the 265/75's, being a tire I want to move to next...I'm wondering if I can fit them. Has anybody had this problem with a lower offset wheel? What did you fit?

Tonight I cut the wheels to the points that brought them closest to rubbing. At the valance, i have a ton of room. At the rear on the lower back side of the flare, I have about 1/2-3/4" of an inch. The tire will be 1" taller diameter than what I have now, meaning it will be a half inch larger radius. See what I mean, it's pushing it....

I think I can trim some more back there though, maybe get some more room.

What do you think? I really don't want to lift it anymore if I don't have to, but I really wanna go one size up for a tire, mostly because it opens me up for more selections on different tires. Gonna have to chuck my rear spacers for smallers ones too, already rub at full flex back there. ;)

tt3.jpg

tt2.jpg

roadside1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a 265/75 is taller than a 265/70, but also more narrow. Your rims' offset it what is creating the rub.

Yes, i already stated it was an inch taller...and I know my rims are causing it, that was the whole point of this thread...my question is if anyone else has had this problem, and what they've been able to fit with a similar setup.

What size spacers do you have on the rear? Do you have them on the front also? I was thinking of putting spacers on my 99 sport to move the tires out some.

They're 2" billet spacers, rear only...the kind that the stock studs bolt into, and the spacers have their own studs. They're the only kind I would run personally...

I might be taking them off when I go up to a bigger tire, or at least dropping down to a slightly thinner one.

thecause17 if you want to sell those spacers i might want them. pm me if your interested.

Thanks, I wonder if spacers on the front with stock wheels and 255/70/16's would cause a rubbing problem? Do you feel the spacers are safe? I gotta do something to move the tires out in the fenderwells. I thought about offset wheels but looks like you are having problems with those. I love your explorer mine is the same color.

Thanks Gene

Black is beautiful...

As far as the front...I wouldn't run a spacer up there, unless it was small...Even on stock wheels I think they sat out far enough up there...the back is different because the flares are wider back there than up front, so I used the spacers to make up for it..

Drivehard, I will keep that in mind...not sure when that'd be though....if I get the tires I want, I will pull them off and run it without any until I get new spacers, I will let you know if I am selling them.

thecause17... Thanks for the help!!!

Back