Tire help? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire help?

The Duratrac is a hybrid somewhere between an AT and a MT. If I had to worry about snow, I'd definitely go with the Duratrac. I don't, though.

And as mentioned before, Duratracs don't come in a 35. Just based on that information alone, which do you think is more geared toward off road use?

Also, if it was a dedicated offroad tire, why would they bother making the MT/R? They're not going to cut into profit by offering two tires that serve the same purpose. The Duratrac is a great tire and probably the highest reviewed tire ever. It's not a mud terrain, though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a great review from the link you posted:

I love my Duratracs. Due to the amount of wet snow/ice we see in Illinois, I was a little cautious to get a MT for DD use. The Duratrac is an AT, but it is the most aggressive AT I've ever seen, looks like an MT. Also, they are snow/ice rated tires. They have almost no road noise, and have proven to be great in the mud also. I think it is the best compromise if you have to choose.

I don't compromise. ;)

Sorry Offtrac I meant on the bfg website or tirerack. I trust the people on here and that's why I asked. And since I'm judging what I can do based somewhat on yours I'm all ears to what you have to say haha. I just don't like basing a decision off a review that someone wrote after they drove it home from the tire shop 10 min down the road. It's a lot of money to shell out for a new set of tires.

No need to apologize. I was responding to Interscope's post.

I don't want to sound like I'm downplaying Duratracs at all, though. They seem to be the absolute best all around tire available right now and I have yet to hear a bad thing about them.

As for true MTs, I like my KM2s. I have also heard great things about the MTRs and the Coopers. For price, I like the Treadwrights. There's my short analysis of my understanding of the current MT options.

Yeah my friend has the MTRs and that compound is so much softer. I do drive a good amount on asphalt so that's a big concern for me.

Must have skipped over the OP saying 35's were wanted. Apologies. I also didn't really take into account that I live in IN and snow and ice is a big deal and the OP doesn't. Didn't mean to sound like I was bad mouthing BFGs at all, just around here EVERYONE has BFG ATs and what not, and I guess seeing them all the time has made me not like them...? Haha. Dunno if that makes sense.

If there's anyone out there with experience with Treadrights speak up!! Those are another tire I've been looking at for ages.

Back