tire preasure

Electrohacker

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clinton Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT V8 4WD
ok here's what's been nagging at me for a while...

the door sticker says 26 pounds, so I lowerd the tires to 26 pounds and drove it... it seems squishey

should I put it back to 30 or is this bad... what do you all run at?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your sticker says 26, then you have an outdated sticker. Ford sent at least some Explorer owners a new sticker saying 30 as recommended pressure.

I run about 32. Anything in 30-35 range is fine for most on-road conditions. Use common sense, add a little air for towing, etc. etc.

Yes, your sticker is an outdated one. That's one of the possible reasons why the Firestone tire treads separate. Heat buildup and bad bonding material. But anyways...inflate it to at least 30psi. I usually inflate mine to 35psi.

My new Explorer has the tire pressure monitoring system. I'll let that thing tell me when my tire pressure is low. :)

Yeah...they're pretty cool. My aunt's '03 Chrysler Town & Country Limited has that feature too. It shows how much air is in each tire. It's awesome!

The Explorer doesn't tell me how much pressure is in each tire. A warning light comes on if the pressure is low in one of the tires. This kinda blows because I'll have to check all 4 to figure out which is low. It's still better than nothing though.

Also remember that the sticker (old or new) is for stock tires..

Tires from another manufacturer may not need the same pressure.

The only way to know what the correct pressure should be is to do the chalk test (do a search for more info on how to do it).

Check the number on your actual tires to see. Mine right now say 35 as my max pressure and that's what I use. The lower the pressure the worse the gas mileage too. Low tire pressure light?! I don't have one of those. I just check it once every month

Originally posted by Rhett Browning
If your sticker says 26, then you have an outdated sticker. Ford sent at least some Explorer owners a new sticker saying 30 as recommended pressure.

I run about 32. Anything in 30-35 range is fine for most on-road conditions. Use common sense, add a little air for towing, etc. etc.
When I brought the truck home from the dealer I inspected every nook and cranny of that truck. I came across this 26 psi sticker and like Rhett said- use common sense. No Way that 26 psi is correct. So from day 1 I had it at 34 psi. :cool:

Running Max pressure (the number on the side of the tire) may not be a good thing on all tires..

E.g. If I run max pressure on my BFG AT Ko's I'd be running at 50psi... That 50psi is so each tire can hold up 2250 lbs (I think thats the number).. Soo.. If I ran 50PSI they would be able to hold a vehicle that weighed up to almost 9000lbs..

If I did that on our X, I'd be all over the road, bouncing around.

If you can't do the chalk test you can get close by figuring out how much your truck weights (the X is "about" 4000 lbs stock for a 4 door) and then figure out how much air you need in your tires to hold that weight + what you have in the truck..

Using the above BFG tires with 50psi for 2250 lbs...

If the Explorer is 5000lbs (with gear/gas/people etc)that means each tire needs to be able to hold 1250lbs..

If the BFG tires each can old 2250lbs @ 50psi then at 1250lbs they need a minimum of 27psi (1250 is 55% of 2250 so you need 55% of the max pressure to hold the weight) Now that doesn't mean run 27psi.. that means you need a minimum of 27 to hold the weight of the X.

You now know the minimum you need, you can now "fine tune" the pressure (go up only) to get you the feel/mileage you need/want.

On our '92 we run 33-34psi up front and 36psi in the rear. I have run lower, but it hurts my mileage. Any higher and the truck bounces too much on the roads I have to drive on.

~Mark

I would stick with the 26 PSI, a correctly manufactured tire in good condition is not going to fall apart at high speeds. The following is from the former cheif truck engineer at Ford:

"We ran the tests, and in really severe maneuvers, emergency lane-change maneuvers, 35 is not where you want to go," says Ford's chief truck engineer, Tom Baughman.

Generally, lower air pressure makes a tire ride softer and steer sloppier. Higher pressure makes the ride firmer and the steering more responsive. Baughman notes: "You may not want crisp steering in a vehicle with a relatively high center of gravity and relatively short wheelbase. Putting more air pressure in your vehicle is not in the direction of goodness in a vehicle with a relatively high center of gravity."

Ford's lower pressure recommendation makes the truck more stable and "absolutely is not the problem," says Baughman.

That's because the more-responsive steering that generally comes with higher pressures can cause the vehicle to swerve wildly when a panicked driver yanks on the steering wheel during an emergency. He says Ford's policy, therefore, is to specify tire pressures as low as possible that don't compromise hauling ability. "Sometimes you want the steering to be a little bit on the lazy side, for safety," Baughman says.

yeah but the tires shouldn't feel sloppy when I have it loaded with gear either (and it does)

I've decided to run it at 30 Psi (where it was when I bought it...)

WNP 2 said:
I would stick with the 26 PSI, a correctly manufactured tire in good condition is not going to fall apart at high speeds. The following is from the former cheif truck engineer at Ford:

"We ran the tests, and in really severe maneuvers, emergency lane-change maneuvers, 35 is not where you want to go," says Ford's chief truck engineer, Tom Baughman.

Generally, lower air pressure makes a tire ride softer and steer sloppier. Higher pressure makes the ride firmer and the steering more responsive. Baughman notes: "You may not want crisp steering in a vehicle with a relatively high center of gravity and relatively short wheelbase. Putting more air pressure in your vehicle is not in the direction of goodness in a vehicle with a relatively high center of gravity."

Ford's lower pressure recommendation makes the truck more stable and "absolutely is not the problem," says Baughman.

That's because the more-responsive steering that generally comes with higher pressures can cause the vehicle to swerve wildly when a panicked driver yanks on the steering wheel during an emergency. He says Ford's policy, therefore, is to specify tire pressures as low as possible that don't compromise hauling ability. "Sometimes you want the steering to be a little bit on the lazy side, for safety," Baughman says.

Then why did Ford send updated stickers to EX owners telling them to UP the tire pressure to 30 PSI?

At Firestone's request, Ford recently changed its recommendation from a strict 26 to a range: 26 to 30 psi. Baughman says the truck handles the same within that range. Above 30 psi, Explorers can go out of control easier during extreme maneuvers, he says.

My sticker on my 94 says 26. I have Michelins on it and I keep them at 35 all the time and will keep on doing it regardless as to what a Ford engineer said. If I keep y tires at 26 I get about half the gas mileage and the tires feel sloppy and drive like mush. I keep them at 35 and have no problems if I need to make an emergeny manuever on the interstate. I have had to make such manuevers before and the vehicle handles great, I have never felt unsafe in this vehicle.

Is that quote from Ford Engineers before or after the recall of Firestones?

This quote was way before the recall.

Ford uses a sophisticated suite of software called ADAMS to test all their vehicles in sever limit handling maneuvers, nothing is tested on a track anymore, its all done by computer.

In the ADAMS tests at 35PSI in the J-Turn performance the Explorer would lift 2 wheels off the ground, at 26-30, it does not.

In 1995 when Ford changed to the SLA short and long arm suspension, the center of gravity went up.

I don't consider any of these maneuvers real world, and I think that knowing you drive a vehicle with a higher center of gravity, it is your responsibility to slow down in turns, and not drive as fast as you would in a passenger car.

It is my opinion that the Explorer is reasonably safe, and appropriate for a vehicle of its type.

i run 50 psi in my bfg's only becasue of gas milage, sure the ride is stiffer, but im 17 and dcan handle it

I've been told by a couple people that 40 psi is a good setting. That will still give you a decent ride and also help out with some fuel mileage. Am I correct in hearing this? I have yet to increase mine to that, but was seriously considering it on my next oil change. My '03 Sport Trac is a pretty heavy vehicle so I don't really know if I should.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

uhh no... a god range for most trucks is 30-35 withough severe weight

with a really heavy load you might put the reaers up to 40 but never much over 40

NEVER 50, you're askin for a blow out...

Back