Tire pressure idiot light on 2004 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire pressure idiot light on 2004 XLT

mustangman

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Will be 2004 XLT
I was wondering if you require metal valve cap covers. Someone stole them off our truck. Yesterday I noticed a nail in the rear tire so I swapped it for the spare. The tire monitor idiot light goes on? Is this because the spare tire is on? Do I require metal valve caps? I read in another thread that rubber caps mess up the system. Do I need to get caps from Ford or can I get any metal valve cap? Finally do I need to get the monitor reset? A neighbor told me once a rim is removed or the sensor turns on the idiot light it requires a reset. About to winters ago the light went on I added air and the light went out with no issues. Can anyone shed some light on the issue. I did a search but nothing really answered my question.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The sensor is in the valve stem,,,, attached to the wheel,, so the light will not go out until the wheel is re-mounted

That's what I thought. I haven't had a problem with the rubber caps yet.

.......yes....... you require very special schrader valve caps..... (checks pocket).... I seem to have just a few that I'll let go for 89.99 a piece (shipping extra).

*cough*

sorry, I was channeling my dealer. The other dude is correct. The sensors are located inside the rims, and Ford didn't spring for a unit on the spare.

BE CAREFUL everwho fixes your tire is made aware. If they break the bead on the rim and aren't careful, they could knock that sensor off. One of the places that did my tires actually asked if they could keep my copy of how to change the tire without damage. (shrugs shoulders)

-Shawn

Thanks for the warning, I had my buddy do it. Made sure he's done this type of rim before. As for the valve caps not being the factory ones, will the sensor not read correctly? I haven't noticed anything?

Yes, it doesn't matter what kind of valve caps you use, as long as you actually have them all capped off.. I lost a valve cap on the highway one time, and I got the TPMS light... replaced it with an Autozone valve cap, and all's well. No more TPMS error.

Back