• Register Today It's free!

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

JDJones

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Silver Limited
Hi everyone, new to the forum, expecting my Explorer this week. My previous cars didn't have Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems, and I have a few questions and concerns. Someone told my wife that every time you replace a tire, you have to get a new TPMS, and the devices are not cheap. Reading a bit on the subject and techie information seems to say the TPMS should not have to be replaced if handled correctly. So here are my questions I need some guidance on please:

• Is it true that the TPMS is/should be replaced with each tire change?
  • If so, is it true these things cost $150-$175 for each tire to replace?
  • Any expectations on the battery life for TPMSs?
  • Any real life examples of going back to Ford dealer (and pay higher price) vs going to a tire center and hoping they know how to deal with TPMS?

Thanks in advance for the advice for a new Explorer owner

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've replaced tires numerous tmes on the Explorers with TPMS, and have never required replacement.

I buy quality tires from quality shop, who can do road force balancing. I've also purchased tires from Tire Rack, and had them droped shipped to the shop for install.

TPMS is not a new technology and any good tire center should know how to handle them. It is NOT true that they need to be replaced with each tire change. One of our company vehicles went through 3 tire changes all around and all the original TPMS sensors stayed in the wheels.
When you get your tires rotated though, you will have to reprogram them so that the computer knows which position on the vehicle each sensor is monitoring. I believe the reprogramming instructions are in the manual.

Hi everyone, new to the forum, expecting my Explorer this week. My previous cars didn't have Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems, and I have a few questions and concerns. Someone told my wife that every time you replace a tire, you have to get a new TPMS, and the devices are not cheap. Reading a bit on the subject and techie information seems to say the TPMS should not have to be replaced if handled correctly. So here are my questions I need some guidance on please:

• Is it true that the TPMS is/should be replaced with each tire change?
  • If so, is it true these things cost $150-$175 for each tire to replace?
  • Any expectations on the battery life for TPMSs?
  • Any real life examples of going back to Ford dealer (and pay higher price) vs going to a tire center and hoping they know how to deal with TPMS?

Thanks in advance for the advice for a new Explorer owner

jdjones: i don't have my XLT yet, but I have TPMS on my current Xterra; they should work about the same, so let me try to answer your questions:
1).No, you don't have to replace them at each tire change or rotation.
2).N/A, not at each tire change or rotation. But if you did need to replace them, yes, it's going to cost about $100 for the sensor and about $75 to reset (the new sensor needs to reconnect with the TPMS system).
3).I have my Xterra for almost 6 years now and so far don't need to replace any batteries yet.
4).I can't speak of Ford. I accidentally broke mine last year (WARNING: with the TPMS sensor on each tire, make sure you only use PLASTIC valve cap not those fancy metal ones!); i was trying to unscrew the metal valve cap from one of the tires; too tight because of rusting, and i was in a hurry, so i used too much force to unscrew it then i broke the valve tube. so, i had my Xterra towed to a nearest tire center, they replace the sensor n stuff, however, they were not able to reset the TPMS in order to communicate with the new sensor, so i had to go back to a Nissan dealer. I have extended warranty with Nissan, the TPMS should be covered but i didn't have the sensor replaced at a Nissan dealer, so they won't reimburse me. Even so, it's still cheaper for me since I saved money on having my Xterra towed to the nearest Nissan dealer by me.

2)But if you did need to replace them, yes, it's going to cost about $100 for the sensor and about $75 to reset (the new sensor needs to reconnect with the TPMS system).

Tire rack quotes 180$ for a set (4 sensors) .. and I thought the programming instructions were in the manual, however don't quote me on that.

You do not need to replace your TPMS sensor everytime you change a tire. What you maybe hearing is, some vehicles like GM and Foreign brands have a TPMS that requires a rebuild kit when a tire is replaced to make sure that no new leaks arise because the TPMS is attached to their valve stems whereas Ford straps their TPMS to the wheel which is located directly across from the valve stem. The only time it will need replaced is if someone breaks it while changing your tire or the battery life is done for which they are suppose to last for a long time.

Ford did have valve stem mounted TPMS in some of the early 2000 vehicles but it doesn't pertain to yours.

Also note that the gunk that you would spray inside when you have a flat is going to destroy the TPMS so just plug the hole and pump it up instead when you have a flat.

Yes, do not use fix-a-flat or anything of that sort when you have TPMS.

TPMS is on valve stem

Ford did have valve stem mounted TPMS in some of the early 2000 vehicles but it doesn't pertain to yours.

Pretty certain this new explorer has the TPMS right on the valve stem, it's the same as the F-150 and Edge. If you check the motorcraft catalog you'll see.

Pretty certain this new explorer has the TPMS right on the valve stem, it's the same as the F-150 and Edge. If you check the motorcraft catalog you'll see.

Correct, the sensors are attached to the valve stem

per the manual
"Each road tire is equipped with a tire pressure sensor located inside the tire/wheel cavity. The pressure sensor is attached to the valve stem. The pressure sensor is covered by the tire and is not visible unless the tire is removed. Care must be taken when changing the tire to avoid damaging the sensor."

For those of us with the tow package, we have a bad choice in the case of a flat tire while towing. Fix-a-flat to get moving again - and ruin the TPMS, change to the space-saver spare and ruin more than the TPMS, get a tow (which means leaving your trailor(etc) behind, or carry a full size spare somewhere outside the vehicle.

What will the fix-a-flat gunk do to the sensor?

2010 and newer ford vehicles have the shrader snap in style tpms sensor, the stem kind. Earlier than that they had the banded kind. The sensor itself should be good for quite a few years, although eventually the battery in it will die. The only thing that needs replaced are the rubber grommets on it that seal it to the wheel. These SHOULD be replaced every time you replace the tires, just like a valve stem. They are exposed to the same elements and stuff that everything else on the exterior of the tire is exposed to, water, chemicals, salt, etc, and they deteriorate over time.

Don't use fix a flat or slime or any of that other worthless stuff unless its an absolute emergency, I.E. you don't have a spare for some silly reason and you are on the roadside in the middle of the night. That stuff will kill TPMS sensors. When you get a flat, put the spare on and take the tire to get fixed. Us tire guys freaking HATE fix a flat. It doesn't fix anything, but it does get all over everything, including your wheels. And us if you use too much.

For those of us with the tow package, we have a bad choice in the case of a flat tire while towing. Fix-a-flat to get moving again - and ruin the TPMS, change to the space-saver spare and ruin more than the TPMS, get a tow (which means leaving your trailor(etc) behind, or carry a full size spare somewhere outside the vehicle.

If what will the fix-a-flat gunk do to the sensor?

Changing to the spare shouldn't ruin anything, if you are using it to drive the regular tire to a shop to be fixed.

If what will the fix-a-flat gunk do to the sensor?

There isn't a full size spare? WTF? (muttering and shaking head) IMO, if you don't have a full size spare, then you shouldn't be towing. For just this reason.

It will gum up the sensor and destroy the delicate parts that sense the pressure. Its an electronic device, and fix-a-flat is wet chemical stuff. Do the math.

Hi
I have just reset my tyre sensors on my 2005 explorer. I used the following information on another site and it is correct. For a magnet I used a car speaker magnet and it worked.

I can tell you that the Navigator and the Expedition use the same part number for the wheel sensor 5L1Z-1A150-AA, here are a few things I copied from manual and should help you.

Ed

NOTE: The vehicle is equipped with a light blue-colored tire pressure sensor. When installing new components, use only this tire pressure sensor.

CAUTION: If the valve stem core has been removed from the valve stem, reinstall the original valve stem core. If the original valve stem core is damaged, a nickel-plated core must be installed. Failure to use a nickel-plated core will result in corrosion and the possible loss of tire pressure.

The TPMS will not operate correctly if black-colored tire pressure sensors are installed.

NOTE: Sensor position is critical for correct sensor operation. The "flat" side of the sensor must be facing the wheel and the "slanted" side of the sensor must be facing away from the wheel. When correctly installed, there will be a very small gap between the sensor and the wheel.

Train the tire pressure sensors. For additional information, refer to Sensor Training component test in this section.

CAUTION: Electronic modules are sensitive to static electrical charges. If exposed to these charges, damage can result.

NOTE: The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) is integral to the vehicle security module (VSM) and is not serviced separately.

NOTE: A new VSM module is delivered in manufacturing mode with pre-set diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). These DTCs require that a particular set of operations to be carried out in order to clear them and enable the module for normal operations. The pre-set DTCs are as follows:

B2477 — Module Configuration Failure/Mismatch
B2868 — Left Front Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
B2869 — Right Front Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
B2870 — Left Rear Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
B2871 — Right Rear Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
C2780 — ECU in Manufacturing Mode

NOTE: A re-configured VSM may also set the above codes and will need to go through the same set of procedures as a new module to enable normal operation.

NOTE: The steps included in the VSM removal and installation process are critical to restoring vehicle security and tire pressure monitoring system operations and will permit a new or reconfigured module to operate as intended. Each step is designed to carry out a particular operation and clear the manufacturing mode DTCs. Once these DTCs are cleared, the new or reconfigured module will enter into normal operating mode.

Principles of Operation

The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) monitors the air pressure of all four regular road tires. The wheel-mounted tire pressure sensors transmit via radio frequency (RF) signals, to the TPMS module (integral to the vehicle security module (VSM)), using the valve stem as an antenna. These transmissions are sent approximately every 60 seconds when the vehicle speed exceeds 32 km/h (20 mph). The TPMS module (integral to VSM), compares each tire pressure sensor transmission against a low-pressure limit. If the module determines that the tire pressure has fallen below this limit, the module communicates this on the controller area network (CAN) to the instrument cluster, illuminates the TPMS indicator and displays the appropriate message center message.

The system is not affected by wheel and tire rotation.

Sensor Training (Reset Procedure)

NOTE: The tire pressure monitoring system is not affected by wheel and tire rotation.

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without radio frequency (RF) noise.

RF noise is generated by electrical motor and appliance operation, cellular telephones and remote transmitters, power inverters and portable entertainment equipment.

1.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.
3.Press and release the brake pedal.
4.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
5.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.

6.The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if train mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center displays "TRAIN LF TIRE", place the magnet on the valve stem of the LF tire pressure sensor. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the TPMS module.
7.Within two minutes after the horn sounds, place the magnet on the valve stem of the RF tire pressure sensor.
NOTE: If the VSM (TPMS module integral to VSM) does not recognize any one of the four tire pressure sensors during the tire training procedure, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE NOT TRAINED REPEAT" and the procedure must be repeated.

8.Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
When the tire training procedure is complete, the horn will sound once and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE TRAINING MODE COMPLETE".

Back