tire size on '98 cobra wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tire size on '98 cobra wheels

I'm considering buying some '98 cobra wheels for my '02 Sport. I want the overall tire diameter to be the same as stock, but don't know what a common sized tire would be. My tires right now are 235-70-16. Also, what sized spacers should I use.

Thanks for the help!

Derek

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe that 275/40/17 should be the same.

well, I did the math, and both 255-60-17 and 275-55-17 should be very close to the same diameter. which one should I go with???

Thanks,

Derek

id go with the 255... heres why.... less width will mean less likely to rub rub....

Originally posted by jimabena74
id go with the 255... heres why.... less width will mean less likely to rub rub....

they wont rub. theyre 8" wide wheels with ~24 mm of offset.

if you go with the 255 60 r17 youll have a lil "cushier" ride. if you go with the 275 55 r17 itll have more runner on the road, so itll have more traction and potentially handle better. its really so close, go for whichever looks better.

thanks tbomb, I will have to price these two sizes too. Does anybody know what size spacers I would need to bring these out so they're flush with the fenders???

Derek

actually, a 275/50/17 is the EXACT same height as a 235/75/15. the 235/75/15 is the same height as a 235/70/16. so, run a 275/50 if you want the exact same height. (a 275/55 wont be much taller...)

unless you have flares, they will be even with the fenders.

james,

I know your wheels are 17x9, mine are 17x8, so I might need spacers. Any idea what size spacers???

Derek

BTW: Nice looking explorer, I likes :D

ok, the 17x9's i have only "stick out" about a 1/4 inch more than the 17x8's. this is because most of the extra width of the wheel is in the backspacing. you will not need spacers, because basically the 8's will sit even with the fenders, as the 9's do.

do you want spacers because you think the 17x8's will rub, or because you want them to sit even with the fenderwells?

well, I wanted them to be flush with the fenders. I don't like the "tucked" look. A friend of mine has '98 cobra wheels on his mustang so I'm going to his house tonight and trying them on my X for size.

the wheels I might be buying are on a ranger right now with 5/16 and 7/16 spacers. are these safe to use???

Thanks for the help,

Derek

I'de like to jump in here...275s will fit on 8 inch wide wheels?

....cool

yes, 275's will fit just fine on 8" wheels.

i personally would not use spacers (and dont) with the Cobras. if you do, make sure they are the expensive billit spacers that have their own studs, and not the crappy "pot metal" slip-on types.

I'm using 275/60 - 17's on 99 Cobra wheels. They're 8" also.
I'd shy away from all spacers but if you have to then use the good ones.
For what it's worth, if your camber is too much negative then the tires will look like they're tucked in. Just a thought.

Lou.

Hello,
I have a 97 awd Mountaineer and would like to go with the Cobra R wheels on it. Can you tell me which size i should go with and also tire size. I really don't what them to stick out of the fenders and if you can recomend a dealer to get them at. Is there a problem with doing this to the awd models. Any help would really be appreciated!
Thank's,
Chalie R.

Originally posted by Chalie R.
Hello,
I have a 97 awd Mountaineer and would like to go with the Cobra R wheels on it. Can you tell me which size i should go with and also tire size. I really don't what them to stick out of the fenders and if you can recomend a dealer to get them at. Is there a problem with doing this to the awd models. Any help would really be appreciated!
Thank's,
Chalie R.

Well, I've been doing a lot of research over the past few days and I have come to this conclusion. Don't buy 17x8 cobra or mustang wheels due to fitment problems and having to use spacers. A 17x9 wheel will not need spacers and you won't have any problems with fit. Look on ebay and search for "cobra wheels" and you'll see tons of wheels for sale at reasonable prices. Also, check the message boards for mustangs such as stangnet.com and you might find some used ones for cheap. I think I'm going to try to get some 18x9 wheels for mine if I can find a good deal.

Back