Tire size options:replacing OEMs 245-65-17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire size options:replacing OEMs 245-65-17

Tampa Rob

Reaction score
What size options do I have for replace the OEM Goodyear Forteras HL on XLT 07 Sport Trac?

I've been reading the bfg a/t ko are good/nice but not in available in this above size.

Best price so far are Firestone Destinations LEs (approx $520 installed)from Tires Plus here in Tampa.

Want to fit price and look, so give me you opinions/experiences.

My neighbor has a regular Explorer with 255/70-17 Goodyears on it, they fill up the fenders and don't seem to rub.
Bridgestone REVO's are available in a 245/70-17. Same width, be slightly taller. Had them on my old '05, great tires but they do wear quickly.
I got Firestone Destination A/T's in the stock 245/65/17 size for better winter performance (the OE Forteras were terrible in snow). In FL the LE's should be fine.

If you want slightly taller (1/2"), and wider, you can go with a 255/65, or 275/60. If you change sizes drastically, you might also want to think about changing the spare. You'll probably be fine with 1/2" difference. IMO, the BFG are overpriced, and over-hyped. Check the ratings on tirerack. They aren't that great.
There are many alternatives that offer better performance (but may not look as meaty).

I was happy with my HLs at first, but I'll be lucky to get 25K out of them. They are down to 6-7/32nds at only 17K mi. The Destination Ats are a great bang-for-the-buck tire. I had them on my Mariner, and they were great. I wouldn't hesitate to run them again.

Back