Tire Size Recommendations

Fixedgear74

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Tahoe, CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT 4d 4x4
I have decided that it is time to see how deep the rabbit hole can go, so let the mods begin...

Current build is a mild 2" Skyjacker lift with 31x10.5x15 Duratracs (great tires for the winters in Tahoe).
I have 4.56 gears with a front Eaton ELocker and a rear Detroit locker (TTB D35 front - 8.8 rear).
I enjoy the set up but want to go with larger tires.
I live in Lake Tahoe, so my Ex sees all seasons, plus my friends all wheel their Jeeps and they want me to get out there with them.

I am looking at the James Duff 5-6" stage 3 lift and want to run 33" tires for now.

My question to you all is should I run 10.5 or 12.5 wide tires.
I will be running a set of black 15x8 steel rims with 3.75 backspacing.

The reason I ask is I know that when you run 35x12.5 tires it tends to wear out your wheel bearings / ball joints and tie rod ends faster. (when I go 35s I will do the 44 TTB knuckle swap to help with those issues).

Will the 33x12.5 be as harsh as the 35s or are the 33x10.5 tires a better choice.

For my trail tires I am looking at the General Grabber X3s or the Maxxis Razr MTs.
Will still run Goodyear Duratracs for the Winter Season.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My question to you is what width do you want to run? If you want the wider, get the wider.
IMO, you’re over worrying. Yes, the bearing design is not the best. Yes, those part mentioned will wear faster to some degree with bigger wider tires, but probably not to the extent you think. The parts mentioned are all wear items regardless.
I run basically the same setup you are talking about, lift and lockers and 4.56, I ran 37’s for 12 years, and 35’s for close to that many years. I’ve gone through a couple sets of ball joints and a several sets of wheel bearings in those years.
I think half the factor involved is driving style.

Thanks for the feedback RangerX.
Can I ask when you ran 35s or 37s was it ever a daily driver?
My goal is to have a usable Daily Driver/Trail Rig.

Yes, always was my daily driver. SoCal freeways for years. Drove it up to Rubicon trail, went thru, drove home. Same with Moab.
Still driving it now, just not quite daily.

If anybody was curious, I decided to move on a set of 33x12.5 Pro Comp Xtreme MT2 tires mounted on black 15x8 Pro Comp 51 Series Rock Crawler Steel Wheels with 3.75" backspacing.

I think you'll be fine. All of the wheel bearing failures I've seen on 1st gen Explorers and Rangers were caused by age, neglect, cheap bearings or frequently all of the above. One truck had a full inch of slop in every direction on the passenger side! As long as you use a quality grease, a quality bearing, and check & repack them every so often it'll be fine.

If anybody was curious, I decided to move on a set of 33x12.5 Pro Comp Xtreme MT2 tires mounted on black 15x8 Pro Comp 51 Series Rock Crawler Steel Wheels with 3.75" backspacing.
That size tire on that size rim with that amount of backspace was THE most common combo run by members back in the day. You’ll be fine.

Back