• Register Today It's free!

tire size

cmustang1991

Reaction score
City, State
Novato, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT V8
I have a 96 XLT V8 2WD. Without lifting it or doing a TT, can i fit 31 inch tires on it??

Welcome to the board! According to this chart: Tire size and fitment guide they should fit. Now, I just put some 31's (265/75/16) on my '98 a few days ago, and I have a TT and shackles and get a little rubbing on the plastic fender when turning. However, just because it says on the tire that it is 31" does not mean that is exactly 31". For example, my Cooper Discoverer S\T are actually 31.8". The actual size will vary depending on the manufacturer. Many are actually smaller, but some are larger than advertised. If you look up the specifications for the tire, you will be able to see all the actual measurements (tread width, section width, tread depth, overall diameter, etc.). Some shops will let you try on a tire before you buy it just to make sure it will fit. By the way, if you use the search feature on this site, you will be able to find answers to many of your questions. Out of curiosity, what tires are you considering? Also, I didn't know they made a v8 2wd explorer. I thought all the v8's were all-wheel drive.

Welcome to the board.. They should fit but it varies on each truck and not to mention the tires are different from each manufacturer.

Back