• Register Today It's free!

Tire suggestions?

gt183

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
Hey guys, I'm gonna be going over to a 265/75/16 in the next couple of months. I want a good mix between an AT and a MT. I kinda am going for the look of the MT but it has to have a treadwear warranty. I got screwed a few years back on my Yokohama's. I like the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO, but they dont come with a treadwear warranty. I also like the Terragrappas but same problem. The Toyo Open Country A/T's are nice, but I've heard mixed reviews about them. Any one got any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They're not AT's but my Dick Cepek mud country's are suposedto wear very well for an aggressive tire.

The Wrangler's are nice... but not nearly as aggressive looking as the BFG AT's. My boss has them on his F-150 and they basically look like touring tires.

The BFG MT's have a very aggressive look... but seem to wear more like an AT than a MT... which is a good thing.

I am not up on which companies offer a tread-wear warranty... but I am doubtful many muddies come with one.

I have the same Dick Cepek Mud Country's as RoadBully. They are 6 months old now and show hardly any tread wear. And for a really aggressive mud tire they have very good road manners.

Also, be wary of treadwear 'warranties'. I've not yet successfully claimed on one yet. I had BFG M/T on a Jeep and Dunlop A2 Sports on and Alero. Neither one came close to what the 'warranty' stated and all I got out of it was the opportunity to BUY new tires. :mad:

Keep them properly inflated, rotate regularily and don't do burn outs. Should be good to go.

All great suggestions guys. Yea I just want a tire thats gonna last thats all. At least 30,000.

I've got the Toyo Open Country ATs. They've worn OK - supposed to have a 50k warranty. I'll be lucky to get that. I've currently got 30 on them and I'm shopping. I don't think I'll need to purchase anytime soon but it's never too early to shop! Haven't really taken them offroad by any means, though. All city driving, so I think next time I'm going to go a little less aggressive in an effort to get better wear/mileage. It seems that all LT tires don't have any mileage warranty. The weight of AT tires seems to be what hurts mileage, also.

The GY Wranglers and BFGs will last a very long time, lots of mileage. The mt style will wear faster. I'm keeping the Wranglers on the Sport, but with a diff rim. They really look nice and they'll last...

For what its worth...

I was going to get BFG A/T's before I bought my DC's. When I do upgrade to 33's next spring after the body lift, they will be the BFG's. I love my Mud Country's but as far as a daily driver and weekend warrior, the BFG's make more sense for me. And they should also wear really well to.

You guys that have MTs, how loud are they on the highway?

You can hear the difference for sure, but the DC's aren't too bad. I've heard much worse... like swamp bogger tires...

Now that i think about it, i can't remember any company that offered a tread wear warranty except for pro comp.

http://www.procomptires.com/allterrain.html

They ATs are less aggressive looking than the BFG AT, but i still think they look pretty good in person. It's too bad they don't offer the xtreme AT in your size because those also have a mileage warranty and are pretty aggressive looking.

But if you're hoping to get 30,000 miles out of your next set of tires, the BFG MT would be a good choice if rotated regularly and properly inflated. They are fairly quiet compared to other MTs i've heard, when i had them i loved them. And the BFG AT could double the MT's life if maintained properly. I'm on my 2nd set of those now and i love them also.

Mellow...

Not loud at all, I've heard some really loud ones... but I'm in my vehicle... I'm not sure how loud it is.

The hercules Terraa trac A/Ts are supposed to wear very well, and have great results for an A/T. They may not be as aggressive looking as you like, but surely function over form is the name of the game.
http://www.herculestire.com/catalogHercules/herculesTT_AT.asp

Also, have you checked out Coopers Discoverer Sure trac (S/T) - it's reasonably aggressive, and comes with a treadwear warranty that exceeds what you are seeking.
http://www.coopertire.com/Flash/index.aspx.

There is also the new Cooper Leon LTZ - looks pretty good.

To be honest... I was disappointed when i first put on my BGF MT's.

I was hoping for a solid grumble... but I noticed very little difference if any. Supposedly they will get a bit louder as they wear... but so far they have been as quiet as a worn down Michelin!

You may want to take a gander at these...

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+A%2FT+Revo

I've had them on my Expo since December and don't have one complaint about them yet. They have let me down once. They are very quiet on the highway, they get awesome grip in all conditions (Rain, Snow, Packed Snow). They weren't as great on ice as I thought they would be. But over the winter I was driving through 8" of snow in 2wd and never even thought to put in into 4wd because they have so much grip.

These tires were well worth it.

I find them to be pretty much the same as a regular tire. They are quiet and smooth. I was surprised after they got installed.

I like the way the MTs look but I doubt I will ever really need them for their capability. It rarely snows here. I have heard that they are not helpful in sand.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, if you don't mind going with a somewhat generic brand tire, I have Definity Dakota M/T's from Pep Boys and they came with a 40,000 mile warranty. They have a really aggressive tread pattern and are also pretty cheap. I only paid about $550 for everything, and that was for 285's. Check out this thread to see what they look like: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223189

Back