Need Tire Suggestions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Tire Suggestions

Reaction score
City, State
Lombard, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
I have a 2001 Sport Trac 4x4 (with 96k). This is my daily driver (10 mi each way to work.) I also use this vehicle for annual road trips.

Other uses:
Snow Plowing (1 lot, 2 hrs of work, each time it snows here, -Chicago-.)
Off-Roading : Light to moderate trails maybe 10 times a year.

I currently have Yokohama Geolandar P255/70R16 112S which came with the vehicle. They are worn and need to be replaced.

Wants:
Bigger tires - for TALLER RIDE & more aggressive look.
Better Off-Road Grip - with the plowing and off-roading I do, I want to be better equiped.

Not wanted:
Tires which provide great A.T. performance but are loud, rough on pavement, or significantly hurt fuel economy. I average only 16 MPG in town and don't want that to get much worse. As I do a fair amount of highway miles, the primary function is a road vehicle.

So please provide any suggestions you may have regarding tire size, mfg. or any other.

Thanks for reading.

George

picture.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All around if you're still stock height I'd go with General grabber AT2 (265/70/16), it'll give you a more aggresive look and capability

Yes. Still Stock height.
Any idea how much height those would add to my ground clearance?

Not much in height but you'll need to do some kinda of lift in order to get a taller tire in there without any rubbing.

I had mine stock height and went with that tire size and then did a 1.75" TT and Warrior Products lift shackles, that gave me about a 2" lift.between the tires, TT and LS.

Then I got a Performance Accessories 3" body lift which gave me the clearance I needed to run 285/75/16's (33's) on stock rims with 1.5" wheel spacers.

I just bought 33x12.50x15 GoodYear DuraTrac's and Cragar Soft 8 15x8 (4"b.s.) and I'll be mounting them within the next week, just need to replace my ball joints and get an alignment before I throw those bad boys on there.

I had Bridgestone Dueler REVO's on my old '05. A/T, excellent performance in snow, and pretty quiet. Dowside, they wore out kinda fast. I have Firestone Destination A/T's on my '08. Not as aggressive a tread as the Bridgestones but they're not any louder than the stock all-seasons and are decent in snow. I comfortably run the things at 80 mph on the freeway if I need to and they are fine.

I had Bridgestone Dueler REVO's on my old '05. A/T, excellent performance in snow, and pretty quiet. Dowside, they wore out kinda fast. I have Firestone Destination A/T's on my '08. Not as aggressive a tread as the Bridgestones but they're not any louder than the stock all-seasons and are decent in snow. I comfortably run the things at 80 mph on the freeway if I need to and they are fine.

I too am currently running the destination AT. I got about 30k out of them. They rode very good at 80+, in the snow, in mud, never lost air, never needed rebalanced. Good all around tire on the lower side of the price scale. Are they as good as a snow tire in the snow, no, nor are they as good as a mud terrain in the mud. They are just fair balanced.

If you want more height go without much impact on mileage or ride do the 265/70, Its about 31", so its about one inch taller than a 255/70. I may go this route, or I may run a 265/75 (32") this next go around. Tires I am looking at, which will be similar use, but without snow plowing, are the general grabber at2, and the hankook dynapro atm.

Back