tire wear pattern

pbnj22

Reaction score
City, State
duluth minnesnowta
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 xlt 5. v8 awd
00 exlplorer 5.0 awd
all 4 of my tires have very similar wear on the tires. The insides are all pretty worn but the outsides have plenty of tread left.

one, what caused this? over inflated tires? bad alignment? natural causes?

two, is it safe to have a shop un mount all my tires turn them around and remount them so that the outside of the tires would now be on the inside..
the tread left is the same through each tire so the awd system should be fine i would think

lookin to get more life out of the tires so i can save up for some bigger nice ones.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this could happen on the front tires if you have to much toe-out. there's no reason (other than regular tire rotation) that would cause this to happen on the rear tires.

there used to be a rule that said that you shouldn't switch tires from one side to the other because radials took a "rolling-set". lately I seen things that make me think it's now ok ??? as far as turning them around, I thing as long as you also switch sides there's no problem (following the rolling-set logic).

inflation (over inflation) causes the center of a tire to wear more than the edges. under inflation wears both edges before the center. the crown on the road can cause cupping on the inside edges. crown is built into the road to allow water to drain off.

good knowledge there.. thank you.. i will go ahead and check out some preices :)

If you have rotated your tires once an a while, you probally have upper-lower ball joint issues. rotated, they all wore the same. On the inside just like all our fords. Its a little pricy on a budget, youtube it and do the labor yourself.

If you have rotated your tires once an a while, you probally have upper-lower ball joint issues. rotated, they all wore the same. On the inside just like all our fords. Its a little pricy on a budget, youtube it and do the labor yourself.

moog upper and lower ball joints will run you around $160 delivered from RA. not the toughest job I've ever done, i'd rate it a 6.5 on a scale of 1-10. keep in mind I had no rust to deal with. took me about 7 hrs over 2 days to do, taking my time. also check your tie rod ends.

yeah i rotate mine every other oil change.. so every 6k miles... i have rust on top of rust on top of rust on top of rust.. this sounds bad..

Back