Tires and wheels! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tires and wheels!

Grizzly2012

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 mercury mountaineer
Alright everyone, im no serious mudder but i like to go trail riding in my 05 mountaineer and some places i go have sticky mud but im wondering what tires i should look at and rims i should get. Ive thought about wrangler duratracs and dc 2 rims. The size im going for is 245/75 bc i dont have any lift or upgraded shocks. Give me your thoughts and the mounty is red with tan cadding.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright everyone, im no serious mudder but i like to go trail riding in my 05 mountaineer and some places i go have sticky mud but im wondering what tires i should look at and rims i should get. Ive thought about wrangler duratracs and dc 2 rims. The size im going for is 245/75 bc i dont have any lift or upgraded shocks. Give me your thoughts and the mounty is red with tan cadding.

im running 265/70/16 cooper discoverer at3 tires with 2.5 inch wheel spacers on stock wheels and i absolutely love these tires. i live in ny and they have proved themselves in mud and snow and they arent crazy aggressive looking.

Would wheel spacers for an ex work on a mounty? And where are some places i could get them? And well i dont wanna get too big of a tire to fill ip the wheel well bc if i go into a hole I will have barely any flex to it

Would wheel spacers for an ex work on a mounty? And where are some places i could get them? And well i dont wanna get too big of a tire to fill ip the wheel well bc if i go into a hole I will have barely any flex to it

i got my spacers on ebay they should work on a mounty because they have the same bolt pattern. ive climbed snow banks and rode over some rough trails and never had an issue with the tires rubbing. they only rub in reverse with the wheel turned all the way right. but the rubbing is not bad.
14362_10151255758771406_1857378036_n.jpg
485951_10151334016981406_1678097783_n.jpg

I highly reccomend the duratracs. I use mine for some moderate wheeling and a DD, and they are great for both. they wear well, dont make a lot of noise, and are insane in the snow. They do take some wheel speed to clean out in the sticky mud, but still do better than a BFG AT

im running 265/70/16 cooper discoverer at3 tires with 2.5 inch wheel spacers on stock wheels and i absolutely love these tires. i live in ny and they have proved themselves in mud and snow and they arent crazy aggressive looking.

im kinda intersted isnt 2.5" wheel spacers quite extreme? i heard anything over 2" is crazy. have you noticed any wear or problems?

Specs: 16x8.5 wheels with -6 offset, 255/70R16 General Grabber AT2 tires

No rub, no lift, and no spacers. Took off the stock stuff, bolted these up, and went to it.

I'm a fan of the Generals in the all terrain department. Have had good luck with them on several vehicles in various tire sizes in the past. Not a mud tire, but a good all terrain for sure.

MGalleryItem.php

im kinda intersted isnt 2.5" wheel spacers quite extreme? i heard anything over 2" is crazy. have you noticed any wear or problems?

nope ive had them on for about 6000 miles now and they are stilll fine. i believe that if you go with a 2 inch or smaller you would have to cut the stock wheel studs. but i could b wrong

Back