• Register Today It's free!

tires baby

Omen866

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport Trac XLT
i thinking about buying bfg/at's that are 265/75/16 for my 03 trac. will they fit on her without rubbing or will there be a lil bit, is there anyhting else i should b worried about. oh and its still the stock height

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

he's right but that is an easy thing to do and i will also say good choice in tire had sets on two different vehicles and they rock for an A/T

what is a TT/shackle lift......im new to trucks (always stuck to modding my mustangs)

Torsion Twist (adjusting the ride height by putting more pre load on the front suspension) and Putting in longer shackles on the rear springs to lift the rear search for both and you should find step by step instructions to do both

thanks. i assume this is something i could do with basic tools and no lift...

yes, and it is a cheap way to get 1.5" to 2" in the front and 2" in the back. You could always add some AAL's and get another 2" in the back depending if you want the back a little higher than the front or if your leafs are sagging.

there are many good writups on the process here, welcome to the forums

2" is the perfect lift for what i wanted. its not a 4x4 so i wasnt planning on going nuts with it.

i did a search but i couldn't find anything specifically detailing how to do it.

are there any downsides to going up 1.5", am i going to be putting stresses on anything and would it void out a warranty?

Try these to start

HERE

OR Here

those will give you a good start and some terminology to search for in the forums.:thumbsup:

Cranking the torsion bars is not really a lift. It`s like walking around on your tippy toes, It doesn`t do anything but wear you out fast. There are plenty of body lifts out there for about $150.00 or look on ebay and you can find one for half of that.

the only problem im running into is the only body lifts i can find are for the 4x4s, there doesnt seem to be anything for a 2x4...or does it matter?

Cranking the torsion bars is not really a lift. It`s like walking around on your tippy toes, It doesn`t do anything but wear you out fast. There are plenty of body lifts out there for about $150.00 or look on ebay and you can find one for half of that.

That link you mentioned in your post lists the kit at $379.00. I found the same kit on ebay for for about $250 on ebay here

Installation does not look easy however

That link you mentioned in your post lists the kit at $379.00. I found the same kit on ebay for for about $250 on ebay here

Installation does not look easy however

I just was saying that there out there you just have to look

there are probably at least 100 guys on here that would beg to differ with that opinion. I would be curious to know you're definition of a "Lift", a body lift in my eyes is less of a true"lift" than cranking the torsion bars

It's true that it will decrease your sag amount since you are not lengthening the shocks, but for the general person who wants to fit bigger tires and isn't going to be rock crawling, just needs a better off road stance to clear some additional height this is a very effective method of "lifting" a truck.

After all a "lift" is anything that adds clearance to your vehicle for use off road. Larger tires could be considered part of a lift.

Is this the best method, no, but it is the most cost effective method for any gen 2 drivers out there. Ultimately we would all be able to have a 6" suspension lift with auto disconnecting sway bays, 36" of droop, SAS, Air lockers, 36" tires, and still get 20mpg but there are trade offs with everything you do.

04trac, if you have a 2x4 then you have nothing to worry about, and can even go higher than 2", although it may increase the harshness with the increased suspension angles. I wouldn't go much over 2", 4x4 guys have to worry about burning up the CV joints, but you are clear for lift off :salute:

A Torsion Twist will not hurt your vehicle in any way. Especially since it is not a 4x4. And you will not find a body lift for a Sport Trac anywhere for under 250.00, unless you get real lucky and find someone selling a used kit. Do the TT lift and get shackles for the rear.

And since it is a 2 wheel drive there are alot of options for even more lift.

Chad

there are probably at least 100 guys on here that would beg to differ with that opinion. I would be curious to know you're definition of a "Lift", a body lift in my eyes is less of a true"lift" than cranking the torsion bars

It's true that it will decrease your sag amount since you are not lengthening the shocks, but for the general person who wants to fit bigger tires and isn't going to be rock crawling, just needs a better off road stance to clear some additional height this is a very effective method of "lifting" a truck.

After all a "lift" is anything that adds clearance to your vehicle for use off road. Larger tires could be considered part of a lift.

Is this the best method, no, but it is the most cost effective method for any gen 2 drivers out there. Ultimately we would all be able to have a 6" suspension lift with auto disconnecting sway bays, 36" of droop, SAS, Air lockers, 36" tires, and still get 20mpg but there are trade offs with everything you do.

04trac, if you have a 2x4 then you have nothing to worry about, and can even go higher than 2", although it may increase the harshness with the increased suspension angles. I wouldn't go much over 2", 4x4 guys have to worry about burning up the CV joints, but you are clear for lift off :salute:

It is not a lift and anyone who thinks it is has no idea of how the suspension works. I did it to my truck once, then when they started to sag i had to get different torsion bars. If this is such a great thing why not go over 2 inchs? hell you could go to the parts store and get a 5 inch bolt and max it out. Tires are lifts? Well then how come i can`t lower my truck with tires?

If this is such a great thing why not go over 2 inchs? hell you could go to the parts store and get a 5 inch bolt and max it out. Tires are lifts?

You can get longer bolts and max them out if you choose..

Tires can lift your truck, I put 33" tires on my ST and sits about 3" higher then a stock ST.. Then I put a suspension lift kit on it and got my ST sitting another 4" higher than stock. Then I put shackles and did a torsion twist and got my ST to sit another 1.5" higher than stock.

So with all these mods I would have to say that my ST was "lifted" because it is now taller than when it was stock. So no matter how you want to get technical about it, if a mod makes your vehicle sit higher than stock, then it would be considered a "lift" or a "raise" or "height modification" or a "make it sit taller than stock adjustment"

As to my understanding bigger tires and/or a suspension lift puts more space between the vehicle's lowest point (usually the differentials) and the road (improved ground clearance). Body/shackle lifts increase tire travel (space between the tires and body). Both are needed in a true off road situations.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well since i really dont want to go higher than 2" and all the body lifts i can find are for 3"+...i think i'll stick to a leveling job with the TT/shackle thing. and if it starts looking like there are problems i can easily put it all back the way it was.

Back