Tires...Decisions, decisions, decisions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tires...Decisions, decisions, decisions

rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
Having a hard time making my mind up on what new diameter tires (5) to get. Currently I'm running 35s. Looking to get 37s or 39.5 diameter tires.
Here's what I got as far as drive train on my chopped top V8 B2 about 4000# plus with a 103" WB.
Need to get the weight bias front vs rear but far more is on front axle.

5.13 rear D70 with ARB and Moser axles. 5.13 front D 44 with Aussie locker and Moser axles.
Usage would be rocks. Most of the public 4x4 parks are mostly rocks.
My concern is the front axle. Do you guys think the 39.5" tires be pushing the D44 too far? The 37s would have an acting leverage of 18.5"vs 19.75" leverage force on the hub for the 39.5" tires. I've never ran anything larger then 35s.

And yes a front D60 might just wind up in the front next year.

In my experience 38s are the max for a built D44 to handle. I was constantly having to tighten the ball joints and high steer arms. I had 300m joints and chromoly axles that I blew apart both sides on 1 obstacle after ~4 years on it. I also had several broken hubs and detroit lockers, I had to only use drive flanges to keep that from happening. After that I went to a D60 and 41.5s and couldnt be happier!

I think you need to figure out if you are indeed going to put a front 60 in and then I would decide on tires. With the 60 going in 39.5s would be good, without I would only go to 37s. 39.5s may survive on the D44 for a short time with a very light foot until you can swap the 60 in.

Thanks Brian. With all your knowledge and experience. If there was any doubt about acquiring a 60 you just wiped it out.
So easy on the peddle and now to concentrate on a 60 this summer. May not be able to get it in, but sure can do a lot of work on the axle until then. Bottom line...39.5

Back