13 Explorer Sport - changed stock headlights to 8k HID | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

13 Explorer Sport - changed stock headlights to 8k HID

wvusport

Reaction score
City, State
WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
lights_zps90bb8afa.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweet!

Is that one HID and one stock that we are seeing?? That looks like a huge difference. Wow

Yes! The yellow light is the stock headlight bulbs! I also have the 8k Fog lights installed as well.

8k is a little too blue for me but looks good!

8k is a little too blue for me but looks good!

Agreed... I'm more partial to a 4300/5000K bulb.

A those 35w or 55w HIDs?

I think HIDs are going to be my next mod.

They are 35w..

What kit is this and where did you get it? How was your install experience?

Yes, more details - I think all of us Sport folks want HID's since it's not an option. Are they bi-xenon or can you use the single mode ones and still have high beams?

RN_WC - I got these from Coolbulbs.com - awesome guys. Andrew will get ya what ya need and will call you with any install ?. As far as install, Very easy, I only say that cuz i have done a few. The fogs took a lil longer. There is a plastic sheild on the bottom with (3) 8mm bolts holding it up, once those are gone, push out of way, and install bulbs. The housing on the bulbs for the fogs are lil bigger (thicker) than the factory ones, so it takes a lil pushing, cusing, throwing........j/k. Its not that bad at all.

Yes, more details - I think all of us Sport folks want HID's since it's not an option. Are they bi-xenon or can you use the single mode ones and still have high beams?

The bulbs are High/low beam. On these headlights, the bulb doesnt change intensty, the housing in the lens changes the pattern of the light (if that makes sense). Only one bulb per side (high/low bulb - 9005 kit, and the fogs are H11).

Let me know if you need anything else.

I am thinking about changing mines too as well . I was so disappointed when I picked up my Explorer Sport last Thursday at night and I saw those " ugly and dull" head lights.

Can you please tell us what did you actually remove to install the main ones. I have read that some people had to remove either the fenders or the front bumper to do this? I don't think this is the case but it will help me a lot knowing how you did it. Was this all just plug and play?

I live in NY City and I am trying to decide between the 6000 or the 8000k

Thanks

I am thinking about changing mines too as well . I was so disapopointed when I picked up my Explorer Sport last Thursday at night and I saw those " ugly and dull" head lights.

Can you please tell us what did you actually remove to install the main ones. I have read that some people had to remove either the fenders or the front bumper to do this? I don't think this is the case but it will help me a lot knowing how you did it. Was this all just plug and play?

I live in New York City and I am trying to decide between the 6000k or the 8000k

Thanks

I am thinking about changing mines too as well . I was so disappointed when I picked up my Explorer Sport last Thursday at night and I saw those " ugly and dull" head lights.

I live in NY City and I am trying to decide between the 6000 or the 8000k

Thanks

Yea the kit is just plug n play. Nothing has to be removed other than the round cover covering the bulbs. Once removed just twist n remove bulb. Like i said its a plug n play. Since ur installing a harness u will have to cut a slit into the round bulb cover due to the wires hanging out the back. Ill upload a pic tomorrow. Hope that makes sense.

As far as 6K or 8K....not sure. Ive only had 8K, n i love them

Yea the kit is just plug n play. Nothing has to be removed other than the round cover covering the bulbs. Once removed just twist n remove bulb. Like i said its a plug n play. Since ur installing a harness u will have to cut a slit into the round bulb cover due to the wires hanging out the back. Ill upload a pic tomorrow. Hope that makes sense.

I love the changeover - seems fairly simple (actually simpler than the website's video on conversion I think). The more pictures, the better! I'm up for better headlights as long as it's effective and not just blinding drivers coming from the other direction. I'm debating between the 6K and 8K, but like the appearance of the 8K better.

Thanks wvusport! I just wanted to make sure that this can be done from the top of the light itself by just removing a cover and then accessing the bulb. The fog lights will be no problem.

There is another Explorer owner here at the forum that installed the Piaa's Extreme Plus 4000K halogen on the fog lights and they look pretty good so that is another option I may consider for the fog lights although I may go for 6000k for the Hid's.

I have decided to go 8000k for the mains as you did. I think they look pretty good.

one thing you should consider the higher the number in most caesthe les bright they are..
as an example 4000k are brighter than 8000k
4300k D2S Philips = 3200lm (lumens)
4300k D2R Philips = 2800lm (lumens)
4300k D2S Philips = 2400lm (lumens) actually 5800k
4300k D2R Philips = 2000lm (lumens) actually 5800k
4800k D4S/R (brand) = 3800 (lumens)
5800k D4S/R (brand) = 3300 (lumens)
7000k D2S other = 1790lm (lumens)
7000k D2R other = 1390lm (lumens)
8000k D2S other = 1180lm (lumens)
8000k D2R other = 780lm (lumens)

one thing you should consider the higher the number in most caesthe les bright they are..
as an example 4000k are brighter than 8000k
4300k D2S Philips = 3200lm (lumens)
4300k D2R Philips = 2800lm (lumens)
4300k D2S Philips = 2400lm (lumens) actually 5800k
4300k D2R Philips = 2000lm (lumens) actually 5800k
4800k D4S/R (brand) = 3800 (lumens)
5800k D4S/R (brand) = 3300 (lumens)
7000k D2S other = 1790lm (lumens)
7000k D2R other = 1390lm (lumens)
8000k D2S other = 1180lm (lumens)
8000k D2R other = 780lm (lumens)

The numbers sound good and all, but i can say this, ive seen a lot of HIDs that vary from low K to high K. The lights that i have in this thing are bright as hell and i can see way more than i should, hahaha. Thanks for the info, ill do some research on that and see if I can find someone around here with Lower K bulbs and see them parked side by side. I have 8K installed in my 2011 Ford Super Duty as well in the Headlights and Foglights.........again........CAN SEE EVERYTHING....EVERYTHING?????....EVERYTHING........HAHA!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:D
I ordered today the same kits as you did both in 8000K. It was a pleasure talking to Andrew at CoolBulbs.com and he answered all my questions regarding this order.

Here is a link to my other thread of my sport with more photos,

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379116

Here are photos of my Explorer Sport,

IMG_0382JPG3_zpsd8436df9.jpg

IMG_0379_zps6bfa08d6.jpg

IMG_0385JPG3_zps5fb4f5eb.jpg

That is sharp as hell...........love the color scheme. Yea Andrew is great to work with on getting what ya need. If you have any issues, hes the man. Well when you get them installed, get some pics up and let us know what ya think!!!!

Back