• Register Today It's free!

tires, lift, exhaust ect

myXneedswork

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 limited
So I recently bought a 2004 explorer limited. And now I want bigger tires, but know I'll have to put a lift on it. I'm looking to talk with people about what size I can fit without having to do a lift. Also looking for a new sound. It's a v8, so it's got the rumble already, but my neighbor said it would sound great with a flowmaster 44. Any thoughts?:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I suggest going with someone other than Flowmaster, be original. Everyone and their mother uses them. They sound great but it's overplayed. I would go with Gibson or Magnaflow, and I have heard good thing about Dynomax. Not sure if Dynomax makes a kit for these things or if you would have to retro-fit one.

For the lift, you can add coil spacers (2.25" front and 1.75" rear) plus 1.5" body lift. With this set up, you can easily fit 33's.

About your exhaust, if you want a loud sound choose flowmaster. Or consider gibson exhaust or magnaflow for a nice growl.

If you like the sound of Magnaflows, but don't like the price. Look for Jones Max Flow SS mufflers, they are Magnaflow ripoffs made of thick raw stainless steel and sound a little more aggressive, can be had for about $40-$50 bucks for smaller 2.25/2.5" sizes. I bought all mine off of Mandrel Bending Solutions on eBay and they were great to deal with and decent shipping to me all the way in Labrador, Canada (very far out of the way and isolated).

I had a DI/DO 3" Jones with a X-pipe built in for my 2500HD Silverado w/6.0L and it sounded great, mellow at idle but very aggressive when you got on the pedal. I got a lot of power back, but I had exhaust leaks on a dual 3" exhaust with no H or X pipe, so I don't know where the extra power came from exactly.

I recommend them to everyone though, they are cheap, built well (If you don't mind ugly raw stainless, but you can polish it or paint it like I did) and sound great and apparently flow better than Magnaflows, so there is also that.

Back