• Register Today It's free!

tires mismatched?? help please

rainbow9

Reaction score
City, State
avon new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
I am in the process of replacing tires on my 2003 4x4. The truck has the auto 4x4 and anti lock brakes. I replaced the 2 front tires. The tires on the truck are 245x75 16. I have replaced the 2 front tires now brand new with 245x70 16's. When I now drive the truck I feel the auto 4x4 kicking in at speeds over 30mph or a whinning sound that sounds like the auto 4x4 is engaging.

Question; is the slight difference in size making this much of a difference? The old tires on the rear are 245x75 16 mastercraft. The 2 new fronts are 245x70 16 general grabbers.. this is what could be causing the computer to sense a difference and engage the auto 4x4? the truck was perfect before changing the tires..

thanks ahead please help:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, that is exactly the problem. Not only are you mixing old + new tires, but mixing sizes and different brands on top of it, all of which add up to be your problem . You need to get 2 more General Grabbers in the same size.

In the mean time you can pull the 4x4 fuses to keep the auto 4wd from kicking in. Do a search in the 2002-2005 forums for the phrase "Brown Wire Mod"

I am in the process of replacing tires on my 2003 4x4. The truck has the auto 4x4 and anti lock brakes. I replaced the 2 front tires. The tires on the truck are 245x75 16. I have replaced the 2 front tires now brand new with 245x70 16's. When I now drive the truck I feel the auto 4x4 kicking in at speeds over 30mph or a whinning sound that sounds like the auto 4x4 is engaging.

Question; is the slight difference in size making this much of a difference? The old tires on the rear are 245x75 16 mastercraft. The 2 new fronts are 245x70 16 general grabbers.. this is what could be causing the computer to sense a difference and engage the auto 4x4? the truck was perfect before changing the tires..

thanks ahead please help:usa:

YES, it makes that much of a difference, either do the brown wire mod or get a matched set for the other axle, bad things could happen if you run it to long this way!

wheel speed sensors detect different speeds from your different tire sizes and its gonna try to match them and that is why your 4X4 is kicking in

Even with 4 new tires, if they are different brands, they will most likely be off size enough to cause problems.

Back