'00 Mounty AWD Mismatched Tires, problem? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'00 Mounty AWD Mismatched Tires, problem?

97SHOgt

Reaction score
Quick question. I did some research already and know that on some cars (Subaru's, Jeep's with Quadratrac) this is a problem, but if you have mismatched tires/tread with AWD, will it mess up the transfer case? My Dad has a 2000 Mountainer with AWD and was on a road trip this weekend only too find out there was a screw in the tire. The shop said they couldn't patch it so they replaced with a new tire the exact same model. So now there is one new tire and three tires with I'd say maybe 25% tread left. I suggested that he should at least get one more new tire so the axles are at the same speed. However I don't know how these tranfer cases work. Maybe they should replace all four, maybe it is fine, I don't know. Thats why I'm here for advice. Any info would be great before they tear something up. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's never good to run an AWD with mis-matched tires. Even a small amount can screw things up. I'm not sure how much it takes, but I've heard even a small amount is bad.

It's never good to run an AWD with mis-matched tires. Even a small amount can screw things up. I'm not sure how much it takes, but I've heard even a small amount is bad.

So if the rear axle had new ones it's still bad right? He's kind of a cheapo so I need a convincing argument that getting new tires will be cheaper than damaging the transfer case.

Your dad really needs to get 3 new tires. Serious

I was afraid you'd say that. I wish he wouldn't have got the one already because I would have advised him to get something different. Those Bridgestone Duelers wear like nothing. Just bought them a couple years ago and they're almost gone.

Thanks guys for the quick response.

So if the rear axle had new ones it's still bad right? He's kind of a cheapo so I need a convincing argument that getting new tires will be cheaper than damaging the transfer case.

I was afraid you'd say that. I wish he wouldn't have got the one already because I would have advised him to get something different. Those Bridgestone Duelers wear like nothing. Just bought them a couple years ago and they're almost gone.

Thanks guys for the quick response.

Have him shop for a better deal on a set and use the dueler for a spare

If it's a V-8 Mounty with all wheel drive, then yes, he needs three more.

If it's a V-6 with automatic 4 wheel drive (not AWD... it's different), then he's probably OK for a short time, provided he isn't experiencing driveline bind-up at parking lot speeds. That system will tolerate some amount of variation in the tire diameters without locking the transfer case.

-Joe

Back