• Register Today It's free!

Tires&Tires?

John 333

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT
95 XLT Explorer I'm looking to replace my tires and would like to know what you people would reccomend. I use my Explorer mainly on a rural mail route in the winter when the snow flies. I have a set of Nokia's on it now. These are great winter tires but are noisy for everday highway use. I would like to get a tire that is less noisy but also has good winter/snow traction. I have heard good things about the Cooper Discovery tire. I can get a set of them for $70 a tire. The Nokias were $95 a tire 4 years ago. So what tires do you people like? Goodyear,Michelin,Bridgestone,etc.?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will probably get a bunch of opinions on this subject. I have always used Michelins, and haven't had any problems. You may want to check out tirerack.com, they do a good job of comparing tires and giving customer's opinions.

Also, in that price range. I have Dunlop Grandtreks on my F-150, and Dunlpop Radial Rovers on one of my company Xs. I have only used them for about 20K, but have been really impressed so far. I could get those locally for about $78 a tire (mounted and balanced).

Was anyone else used Dunlops? What did you think?

RObb

I like the Michelin M/S tires I have on my X now. They ride nice and on the highway. I can't hear any noise from them over the wind noise. I never had any problems with them in the snow but we didn't have a really bad winter since I got them.

morrisey, do you take your X wheeling? I like the tires I have now but I want to go wheeling this summer and was thinking about get ATs. I wanted to find out if the Michelins are good or if I should go with BFG.

Carl :usa:

Carl,
I don't do much rootin' except for the occasional rough construction site. I don't have any experience with BFGs.

BTW: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Robb

I think the best tire for a "daily driver" explorer is definitely the Michelin LTX M/S, it's a fine tire.

My X came with BFG Radial Long Trail T/As and I must say, I can't break them when wet or dry, and only when I drive like an idiot can I break them when it's snowing out. They're quiet, and look sweet too :)

Believe it or not, Consumer Reports rated it 2nd right behind the Toyo M410s, but the difference between the two is over $20 a piece. But then I guess, when your life is literally riding on them, what's an additional $80?

Good luck!

Back