TMH clearance/ other advice needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TMH clearance/ other advice needed

sbkold

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 Explorer
Hey guys - Long time reader here - you have helped educate me numerous times and now I need some more help on choosing the best path to restoring my EX.

Its been a real good truck for me and I have had fun with her - but she wants some detailed attention now i assume. Lately I had the infamous passenger radiator tank leak. I switched that out this weekend and now that I have pressure on system again - I think my timing cover is leaking now too.

I also have the infamouse passenger side header leak. So I would like to install the TMH headers to complement my custom side pipe exhaust.

My question is this - does anyone know if the headers will clear the engine compartment to pull/replace engine with TMH already installed?

I really have been hashing out whether or not to just pull the motor and freshen her up, then bolt the headers on and drop her back in.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I also need some advice as to whether or not maybe make it a 331.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no they will not since there is one tube on the driver side header that crosses over the steering shaft.

semi decent pic of the driver side
spankyengine3.jpg

so you best off to pull the engine first do what ya need to do reinstall it and intall the header.

no they will not since there is one tube on the driver side header that crosses over the steering shaft.

semi decent pic of the driver side
spankyengine3.jpg

so you best off to pull the engine first do what ya need to do reinstall it and intall the header.

sorry dave, i am going to prove you wrong on this one. the headers can be left on when you put the motor in. what you have to do is, unbolt the steering shaft, and swing it forward, and you can slide the motor in. out, i, cant say for sure. if you go this route, unbolt the motor from the motor mount plates, bolt the plates, and the mounts as a unit into the frame, then put the motor in. its not to bad. i just did this with my 98 sport v6 to v8 swap, and was very surprised how easy it went in.

I wonder if your steering shaft and the units that came on a 5.0 are the same?

I know the boot has been torn on mine for some time now.

I wonder if your steering shaft and the units that came on a 5.0 are the same?

I know the boot has been torn on mine for some time now.

Can't see it being different. The 5L hoses are on a 4L rack

Back