Tnashua's 4.0 OHV rebuild... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tnashua's 4.0 OHV rebuild...

Sorry buddy, I really felt comfortable I had stored it properly in some oil.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I picked up some clr and tried it on the cam.
No way. I wouldn't put this in my motor.

Try giving delta cams a call and see what they want for a reground cam only.
I can send you my push rods. Im pretty sure these will be very close to what you need.

Alright- I'll see what I can find out tomorrow. Can you get me the box size & weight for the pushrods- hoping they'll be a lot cheaper than shipping the camshaft...

They will fit in a small box. No issue. I'm sure its cheap.

OK- a few more questions for you guys. Thank you for all of your input so far!

I can see there being some advantage to tapping the big back hole on the rocker arms & inserting set screws to direct more oil to the pushrod tips...
Anyone done this? If so- did it help? Any trouble caused by it?

I have Red injectors- are they still 19lb? I have injectors from my 3.8SC and from a 4.9L that I might be able to use if desired (haven't checked length, but connectors appeared to be the same)... Bigger injectors really won't help unless I Super or Turbo Charge it later, but will they Hurt anything now? Won't the Computer compensate, or would I have to get a tune (and then re-tune)?

I bought an M128 Melling oil pump & have already installed the pickup & primed the pump for install... Then I learned that there was a HV pump (M328) that would probably be preferred. They do not share the same internals (different gear size, etc)- so I can't just swap the pressure spring... Anyone use the M128 with success (anyone have trouble)? Anyone want to buy my 128 so I can buy a 328?

Could I make the 90 T-bird SC TB work on my engine? If not- what is the cheapest way to improve intake airflow? 5.0L TB? Blade/shaft mod on stock TB? I have a custom intake idea for later (much later) & even have a M90 I could put on it eventually, but am just looking to take advantage of the other mods I've made (without getting me further in debt)...

The intake doesn't have coolant crossover holes in the back... Has anyone drilled holes & put fittings/hose together to remedy that? Any advice? I haven't got enough back together to mock it all up- is there something that prohibits a crossover from being installed (besides having to go over the cam sensor)?

Thanks again...

OK- a few more questions for you guys. Thank you for all of your input so far!

I can see there being some advantage to tapping the big back hole on the rocker arms & inserting set screws to direct more oil to the pushrod tips...
Anyone done this? If so- did it help? Any trouble caused by it?

I have Red injectors- are they still 19lb? I have injectors from my 3.8SC and from a 4.9L that I might be able to use if desired (haven't checked length, but connectors appeared to be the same)... Bigger injectors really won't help unless I Super or Turbo Charge it later, but will they Hurt anything now? Won't the Computer compensate, or would I have to get a tune (and then re-tune)?

I bought an M128 Melling oil pump & have already installed the pickup & primed the pump for install... Then I learned that there was a HV pump (M328) that would probably be preferred. They do not share the same internals (different gear size, etc)- so I can't just swap the pressure spring... Anyone use the M128 with success (anyone have trouble)? Anyone want to buy my 128 so I can buy a 328?

Could I make the 90 T-bird SC TB work on my engine? If not- what is the cheapest way to improve intake airflow? 5.0L TB? Blade/shaft mod on stock TB? I have a custom intake idea for later (much later) & even have a M90 I could put on it eventually, but am just looking to take advantage of the other mods I've made (without getting me further in debt)...

The intake doesn't have coolant crossover holes in the back... Has anyone drilled holes & put fittings/hose together to remedy that? Any advice? I haven't got enough back together to mock it all up- is there something that prohibits a crossover from being installed (besides having to go over the cam sensor)?

Thanks again...
As far as I know noone has messed with the rockers, im sure you have seen my thread about trying to mess with them but found changing them at all would effect oil flow..

I think there is more than just swapping spring in the pump.the m328 is preferred to help oiling in the upper end.there is nothing wrong with the m128 just if you have the option or money the m328 is better.

No throttle body will work and isnt needed.the tb half shaft is more than plenty.best cheapest mod for flow would be to port the lower intake.tons can be removed.

No changing the lower intake or holes in the head gaskets would effect coolant flow and wouldnt cool the motor properly. Again I have a thread about that also.lol

yea man look up our threads in the Need for Speed section. We have ALL asked the same questions you are asking.
The rockers are so hard I couldn't even scratch one with a good punch, so I doubt modding them will be easy. No one has had trouble with the Sealed Power rockers even in performance applications.
For TB I went and had mine bored to 63mm and made my own butterfly along with doing the halfshaft mod. Save yourself some time and just deal with modifying the stock one. I spent many days testing TB's in the junkyard. There literally are NONE that will work without huge custom modification.
Injectors, the stockers are more than enough unless you go FI. If you change them out for say the Super Coupe ones you will have drive-ability problems, get pissed and swap the originals back in. I am however very impressed as to how well these computers adjust to mods. Problem is that it may run well now, but what about minus zero cold start, hot start, highway exit decel, passing throttle response etc etc etc conditions? It will not run factory period. Even if you have it tuned for larger injectors you will not gain anything. Like I said check out our threads, lots of bang for the buck stuff there.

Thanks for the input guys... I apparently need to take a course in searching the forum- I never seem to find what I am looking for, but you guys have the info out there! I usually don't have much time online & get frustrated when the most promising thread has 20+ pages & the first 10 or so don't answer the question :( I'll work on it...
I sold a few parts here & was able to order a Delta "Torque/MPG" Cam Regrind... After thoroughly cleaning the rockers & lifters I determined that they really should be replaced so that I am not messing with them again. Got what appears to be a pretty good deal through Northern Auto Parts here in IA (too bad I had to pay sales tax & shipping cost almost $29)... I've got some brand new stock length pushrods for sale! I'll eventually get around to posting them in the classifieds section. As soon as the cam gets here the engine assembly will resume :) Guess I could get the rocker arms swapped out tomorrow. Should probably start cleaning the engine compartment too... Maybe finish removing the old exhaust, but part of me thinks that I should do the engine break-in with the old exhaust so that I don't foul the new cats & muffler. Any thoughts from you guys?
Thanks as always, Ty

Been making headway- slow & steady... Got all the rockers replaced on the shafts, finished porting the lower intake, have started polishing said intake, received my pushrods :) , supposed to get my cam tomorrow... Hoping to get the intake finished today & get started on the exhaust manifolds (wish I could sell enough parts to just buy some headers!). I am starting to see the light at the end of the 4.0 tunnel... My wife took the camera on vacation, so unless I find someone around here to borrow a camera from- I may not get good pictures of the intake / exhaust work. Have a great weekend guys!

Too exhausted after work today- so I really didn't get much done. The cam showed up today- sorry - no pictures of it yet. It looks like a cam :)
Intake is almost complete- going to attempt to attach a few more up to date picts... Forgot to take pictures of the rocker arm swap (or the finished product- the assemblies are wrapped up until assembly time!)

10563072_876955312333022_4493351403021372435_n.jpg

10534701_876955675666319_9107904430220009632_n.jpg

10505358_876955678999652_241900085491053541_n.jpg

1743590_876956275666259_3980477247919882558_n.jpg

10525753_876956272332926_4021417780010737256_n.jpg

10552594_876956868999533_2435952125289725537_n.jpg

10477876_880201238675096_2368986729945727621_n.jpg

10599603_880201228675097_2537586991282588578_n.jpg

Good job on the lower port work..looks good ;)

Thanks! I am realizing that (in addition to the exhaust) I am going to need to perform the TB mods referred to above & fab a cold air intake to really make use of the head & intake porting I've done. I spent over an hour (& a half) reading posts on here & never found the pictures I was hoping to see (I'm a visual learner)... One post describes it- suppose I'll just have to copy/paste/print & take it to the shop (unless you can refer me to the proper link). Got a lot of work to do this week!

Let me find it..its pretty easy. .but honestly till the valves get bigger the tb and maf are more than enough. .I saw minimal improvements with the bbk 66mm..definitely""some"" why I say its worth the tb mod but honestly not the bbk

Anyone reading this post have some extra aluminum uppers available cheap?
I don't have time for the project at the moment, but would really like to make a "custom" upper & run dual TB's... I have 2 Holley TB's that measure at 1.95". They have a cross shaft between them that I am sure I could shorten if needed... They'd give me about 6 sq.in. of area instead of 4... That & a bigger MAF would certainly help get the air in. (hmmm- wonder if I could find a smaller MAF to run on one side only that would net the correct voltage???- then I could run 2 conical reusable air filters & really make the intake tract look cool.) Anyways- if you have a pair of aluminum uppers you'd part with- let me know how much to Oskaloosa, IA 52577. (not in a hurry- I'll mod the current TB & get by until a few other projects get done around here.) THANKS

Fought the TB today & it won... First the shaft wouldn't come out, then the TPS screw refused to come out- stripped it... Ground the head off & it came out with vice-grips. Need to find another screw now :( Got the casting ridges removed, the shaft cut (hopefully I did it right- cause another 30 minutes of searching still didn't get me pictures!), did very minor porting on either side of the butterfly seating area & polished it. Hope to reassemble tomorrow & get a few picts. Got the fuel rail cleaned up the rest of the way. Tapped the coolant passages I drilled/carved into the back of the intake ( I know- a few people recommended against it, but I like going against the grain sometimes. I can always install plugs if I determine that I need to.) Didn't get much else done- hope tomorrow is more productive!

What do you mean you tapped into the coolant in the back of the intake??

Hope your not talking about what I think you are? If so you totally will effect the water flow..it comes in the front of the heads, goes through them to the back, then down into back of block to front of the engine to the pump.the holes in the head gasket and the blockage of the rear lower intake directs water flow.any changes will effect how or if it flows, can also cause hot spots where water just hanges and doesnt flow

Holes are there & can be plugged if needed. Both of my heads were cracked at the back cylinders- my concern was that the water was just sitting there (stagnant) or that air was trapped back there & it wasn't cooling. The fittings I have to install would allow me to bleed any air out of there if needed. Had also considered combining both sides & feeding the heater core. Honestly- I haven't totally decided, but the holes are there & are threaded so I won't have to pull the intake to mess with it again.
Thanks for your concern & input... Looks like you're the only one following this thread (glad it isn't just me). I'll give this more thought as the day to install the motor approaches.

:popcorn:
hahaha. No, JD's not the only one.

Do you have a picture of where you made the holes? I guess I'm not understanding. I also am not sure. I would have thought that the factory plugged those holes for a reason, but you really never know.

Thanks for your concern & input... Looks like you're the only one following this thread (glad it isn't just me). I'll give this more thought as the day to install the motor approaches.

Thats all it is, not telling you what to do or how to, just sharing my experience or opinions with the intention to be helpful ;)

Many are following, its just alot of the questions your are asking or things you are doing very few have done or know the answers. Few have dug into the ohv to that existent

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Guys...
First- here is part of my work yesterday:
10600418_881866091841944_7657296397181943280_n.jpg
The camera I have access to right now really stinks- this was the only reasonable picture I got with it yesterday!

Second- the intake picture on the porch- shows one of the two holes on the top (far right in picture)... I don't have other pictures showing the other angles uploaded to fb- so I can't quickly share them. If desired- I can get them uploaded shortly, but I'm headed back down to the garage to get some work done at the moment...

Back