BBK Throttle body (99 Explorer 4.0 OHV rebuild) + headers. Worth it or not? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BBK Throttle body (99 Explorer 4.0 OHV rebuild) + headers. Worth it or not?

BadaBingM3

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4WD 2DR Explorer
I'm soon going to be pulling my rattling original 4.0 OHV and failed tranny out of my 99 Explorer sport 4wd. I'm going with Power-train products. Since I'm doing all this work, wondering if switching to a BBK throttle body, add headers, and probably will eventually put in a new exhaust as mine is already 21 years old. Is it worth the cost for those small upgraded mods? I know I'm not going to get huge power gains, not trying to mod the internals of the engine. Just trying to spruce it up a bit with a little better throttle response, maybe get a few ponies out of it too. What all do you recommend and which headers to go with. I've read up on headers from CARiD, and on PaceSetters but sounds like some have come across installation issues with the headers not lining up correctly, etc. By the way, was thinking of these headers. 98-10 Ford Ranger / Explorer / B4000 Suv 4.0L V6 Racing Stainless Header Manifold Exhaust

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just sayin' since you asked - here's how I see it.

You have a 21 year old wiring harness under the hood,

You live in Las Vegas which for 8 months of the year gets EXTREMELY Hot Temps.

I've been in your neck o' the woods on vacation numerous times, and you get weeks on end with 100+ during the days, "cooling off' into the 90's at night.

You want to replace your factory designed exhaust manifolds for Headers on your engine...

Ask any hot rodder w/ a few grey hairs about headers, and they'll tell you about the significant increase in under hood temperatures caused by them.

In the PRK (let alone Las Vegas) this is the recipe for a cooked wiring harness (and other under hood 21 year old plastic components).

The OHV is not a high performance engine - but rather a low end high torque truck engine.

With that classification in mind, add to it that this engine performs better at the low end with a little built-in back pressure in the exhaust system.

One: I don't think the trade off in reliability is worth the few extra horse you get.

Two: I also believe the "formula" you're putting out there (BIGGER TB & Headers) will kill your off the line response BUT offer better high end response on the highway.

I don't want to rain on yer parade - in fact I encourage you to experiment - but since you asked there's my .02 as a guy that's owned an OHV for the past 15 years.

HTH -

Just sayin' since you asked - here's how I see it.

You have a 21 year old wiring harness under the hood,

You live in Las Vegas which gets for 8 months of the year EXTREMELY Hot Temps - weeks on end with 100+ during the days, cooling off into the 90's at night.

You want to replace your factory designed exhaust manifolds for Headers to your engine...

Ask any hot rodder about headers and they'll tell you about the significant increase in under hood temperatures caused by them.

In the PRK (let alone Las Vegas) this is the recipe for a cooked wiring harness (and other under hood 21 year old plastic components).

The OHV is not a high performance engine - but rather a low end high torque truck engine.

With that classification in mind, add to it that this engine performs better at the low end with a little built-in back pressure in the exhaust system.

One: I don't think the trade off in reliability is worth the few extra horse you get.

Two: I also believe the "formula" you're putting out there (BIGGER TB & Headers) will kill your off the line response but offer better high end response on the highway.

I don't want to rain on yer parade - in fact I encourage you to experiment - but since you asked there's my .02 as a guy that's owned an OHV for the past 15 years.

HTH -

He thanks for the honest critical thinking. You have a good point about the heat. I'm a pilot and high density altitude (hot summer days) is a HUGE performance hit on any aircraft and helicopters for example. High flying jet airliners don't count here although their takeoff/landing performance is affected just the same. But I digress. Yes, I agree with you. I've read that also too a few other posts that this engine is more so low rpm torque effective. So I think you are right. I'm probably wasting money for minimal gains. But, some better highway performance would not be bad either. Since I'm pushing 31x10.50R tires, a little top end umf might be welcomed. I just don't want to wast money on trivial changes. I also have a -08 E92 BMW M3 moded with a smaller diameter pulley, DINAN Stage II, high flow CATs and I get 30 hp more. But that's a high performance engine that is made for high rpm torque. Thanks for the inputs. RB.

@BadaBingM3

I was raised on muscle cars, and during my 15 years of ownership of this Ex, I cannot tell you how many times I craved for more off the line HP or top end...

Over these past 15 years, I read all the OHV mods on this and the following two forums:

Link 1 - "Ranger-Forums": 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource

Link 2 - "The Ranger Station": 4.0 Liter Forum

Here's my freee overview: I learned from reading that 4.0 OHV owners dumped THOUSANDS into their OHV and in the end they really didn't get what they were looking/hoping for...

The OHV, as built by FORD, is a low rpm/high torque TRUCK engine that will last 400,000 miles if properly maintained.

HTH and you found the best forum on the net for advice on Explorers ;)

I honestly don't think you'll see gains from those parts that are worth the cost of entry.

1. You might have a highflow Throttle body, but it's choked back by restrictive heads/cam/valves which don't even use the stock throttle body, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold to their fullest potential.

2. Then you buy headers / high flow exhuast but they aren't being used to their fullest potential because the heads & valvetrain restrict exhaust exit for the same reason.

In summary, unless you increase head & valvetrain flow yourself, do a cam upgrade, increase the compression ratio & install a fuel system capable of feeding it, you won't need those parts. But then, after sinking several thousand into those things, you run into reliability issues that are going to need to be rectified so you can enjoy the power you've added without breaking down every time you go out for a drive.

If I were doing it, I'd probably do a mild port/polish, valve job, & manifold / gasket match on the heads to get them flowing best with the stock intake / exhaust / cam and keep reliability high. I'd then turn my attention to having a rock solid short block built, high-performance cooling, oiling, drivetrain, electrical, and suspension.

I ran a BBK in South FLA on 3 1st gens. No problems & the throttle respnose was much better & smoother. Gains no idea.
Headers are a good upgrade as well. However won't net much unless you can tune. And you should also port the upper & lower intake. Then maybe even get some better heads. Add a cam & your rocking.....However after all that $ & labor your still driving a slow vehicle.

@BadaBingM3

I was raised on muscle cars, and during my 15 years of ownership of this Ex, I cannot tell you how many times I craved for more off the line HP or top end...

Over these past 15 years, I read all the OHV mods on this and the following two forums:

Link 1 - "Ranger-Forums": 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource

Link 2 - "The Ranger Station": 4.0 Liter Forum

Here's my freee overview: I learned from reading that 4.0 OHV owners dumped THOUSANDS into their OHV that in the end they really didn't get what they were looking/hoping for...

The OHV, as built by FORD, is a low rpm/high torque TRUCK engine that will last 400,000 miles if properly maintained.

HTH and you found the best forum on the net for advice on Explorers ;)
Copy that. Yeah the 4.0 OHV has a good reputation as a work horse. Mine made it 276,000 and I bought it at 146K. Hopefully my new rebuilt one will last me another 10 years. I've put so much into it over time that I'll just keep it going.

Back