To Seafoam my V6 XLT or not? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

To Seafoam my V6 XLT or not?

Alright, I talked to a co-worker who is a good mechanic. He said if I do the Seafoam into the vacuum lines and in the crankcase that I should be prepared to drop the oil pan and clean any filter screen and the oil pump if I had a lot of sludge in my engine. He also said the oxygen sensors might need to be replaced. He did say it cleaned really well, but you just need to deal with the junk that comes out and the affect on other parts. He said to just pour it in the gas tank and let it work slow. Any feedback on this anyone? Let's hear comments regarding this. Thanks.

I am strongly in favour of using Seafoam and have done so for several years now with great results. However, I fouled the heck out of some fairly new Motorcraft Double Plats last summer when I ran it through my PCV system. Trashing your plugs is a very real possibility when you run it through a vacuum line. Keep that in mind.

I now run Seafoam through my gas fairly regularly now. Preventative maintenance is how I see it. I also plan to put some in the oil just before I change it. Unlikely I'll run it through a vacuum line again. Firstly, the Brake Booster method is the easiest way to do it with my 5.0 but you don't get full coverage. Secondly, since I had a 1" UI spacer installed, it's a nightmare to get at my PCV now and even when I reach it, it's a ***** to get the PCV out of the line (I have a brand new PCV setup). Thirdly, I don't want to trash another new set of plugs.

Seafoam does work as advertised. I've seen a lot of irrational reasons in this thread for not using it. It's good stuff. I don't blame fouling spark plugs on the Seafoam. I blame it on me for letting my system get so gummed up that that the plugs got fouled. The Seafoam didn't mess the plugs. The crap that was released did. Seafoam does not trash sensors, gaskets or anything similar. If you use it in your oil, just drop your oil. The bulk of the sludge will drain with the oil. If you're really worried, fill it back up with cheap oil and do another treatment in a thousand miles.

As mentioned in my first post in this thread, if you're worried about the induction method, run it through the gas. The smoke show is fun to do and worth trying at least once. You'll notice the difference right after if you do it right. Do check your plugs after doing it this way. Plug fouling is is not a common by-product of doing the "gas method" from what I've seen.

There are MANY Seafoam posts in the archives. Have you put your SEARCH buttons to work to see? Read up and you won't be afraid to try it. Seafoam is well known not just on this site, but other automotive sites. I used it on my wife's Subaru and even my Lawn Boy. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've heard that the FDA is running trials right now to see if Seafoam will clear clogged arteries. Any else wanna try it with me?:p:

Thanks Celly. That's the kind of feedback I was looking for and I think I am better informed now. I'm not afraid to turn a wrench so I will give it a go. I bought the '04 Ex for my wife but now I wish I could give her the Honda. Love that Ex so I need to keep it purring. An ounce of prevention.........

Why did I always run 87 or why do I run 91?

Well The reason for the switch is I did the math and I will spend on average around 60 extra a year. The first time I ran 91 it didnt have the hesitation off the line I would get every once in awhile while running 87. Also the first tank gave me 1 mpg more than my avg 14 and by the 3rd tank I get 2 to 2.5 mpg better. Might just be my different for explorer to explorer or all in my head. I usually run fuel from cheaper gas station as well and thought about going to chevron and run a tank or 2 of 87 to see if I get any difference.

Alright, I talked to a co-worker who is a good mechanic. He said if I do the Seafoam into the vacuum lines and in the crankcase that I should be prepared to drop the oil pan and clean any filter screen and the oil pump if I had a lot of sludge in my engine. He also said the oxygen sensors might need to be replaced. He did say it cleaned really well, but you just need to deal with the junk that comes out and the affect on other parts. He said to just pour it in the gas tank and let it work slow. Any feedback on this anyone? Let's hear comments regarding this. Thanks.
I think I'm going to do the gas tank method.Maybe a can every 6 months.?

If your engine is so sludge filled that the screen will plug..you need to get it clean anyway! Seafoam is a good fix as long as the engine isn't already on life support...

These engines (4.0 OHV) tend to build sludge if they run cool..make sure your engine thermostat is working and hot enough to bring to operating temperature. I got an ex that had a sludge problem only because of operating temperature...

A friend of mine seafoamed his Suburban that had about 100K on it, and F'd up his engine pretty bad. Don't remember all the details of what broke, but he followed the seafoam directions, started it up, and it went kaboom. Not saying that's what will happen, but I saw it happen and thought I would share.

The product comes in a can of about 12 or 16 ounces-I can't remember off hand. I usually add a half a can to a full gas tank, and the other half to the top end of the motor through the brake booster vacuum line. I use the same amount in the crankcase, but I only do that about once a year, and I do the gas tank thing every six months. It cannot damage your engine if used this way, but it's great insurance against carbon build up. I just rebuilt a Mitusbishi 2.6 motor with 220k on it, and it was virtually spotless inside after using this regimen. I think you'd see great results with so many miles on the ticker. An investment of $8 is cheap insurance towards keeping your engine clean and efficient.
Cheers
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try it. I'm hopeing it will smooth my idle out.

ive never used seafoam. im still looking into it. so you put it in the oil, gas tank, and vacuum lines. and you can't leave it in for long. so do i change the oil right after i use it. how long after? correct me if im wrong with anything.

Why did I always run 87 or why do I run 91?

Well The reason for the switch is I did the math and I will spend on average around 60 extra a year. The first time I ran 91 it didnt have the hesitation off the line I would get every once in awhile while running 87. Also the first tank gave me 1 mpg more than my avg 14 and by the 3rd tank I get 2 to 2.5 mpg better. Might just be my different for explorer to explorer or all in my head. I usually run fuel from cheaper gas station as well and thought about going to chevron and run a tank or 2 of 87 to see if I get any difference.

I did the same thing as you except I went from 87 to 89. It definatly runs better(quieter, idles lower, runs smoother, and maybe a little extra power) plus Im seeing better mpgs too. I just got 15.7 mpg on my last tank probably a quarter tank was highway driving at 80+ mpg and the rest was stop and go suburban driving and 3 days of mostly 4x4 driving through the snow. Its still almost 20 cents a gallon more but worth it to me.

Back