• Register Today It's free!

To trade or not to trade?

jasperboy

Reaction score
City, State
Wadsworth, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS
I have a 2003 Explorer XLS 2WD with 66K on it, but really have need for a pick-up truck. My dad has a 1999 F-150 XLT Ext. Cab 4.2 V6 with 64K, and really doesn't need a pick-up anymore. He is willing to trade me even if I want, and I'm trying to decide. I haul our boat from time to time, but really need to be able to haul welding gas cylinders and supplies from time to time. I had an F-150 as a company vehicle, and really miss it. I'm hoping that mpg's will be similar, and I could live with a slight loss with the F-150. Anymore than 2 mpg's would be an issue. We live in the same town, so swapping for the day if he needs the pick-up would be easy, and he's certainly trying to help me out. No major issues with either vehicle, but the F-150's seem to do a little better in the reliability category according to Consumer Reports. I apperciate any thoughts. What would you do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

keep the explorer its newer and in my opinion betterlooking/nicer than the f150's is the f150 2wd or 4wd?

I guess it depends on what gas milage you are getting now with the explorer and if the f150 has 4WD. I had a 1997 f150 XLT with the 4.6 V8 4x4 and supercab which was just a 3 door cab and got 13.5mpg for driving 80% city and 20% highway. Overall pretty reliable truck other then needing 2 heater cores in less then a year. I would look into though the eninge because i remeber reading the 4.2l v6 was a least reliable out of the enigines for the truck on f150 forums. I believe in was in the late 90's and maybe early 2000's models. I believe as well the similar year 5.4l engine had issues with spark plug blowout. I miss my F150 now but not the gas milage. Check out www.fordf150.net and www.f150online.com . Both are good forums and they could give you a better heads up on the v6. I know i was looking at buying another f150 after i sold my last but i was always a little leary of the V6. But there is still alot of people who drive them so they cant be to bad.

Both vehicles are 2WD. I need to determine the mpg on the F-150, but I am getting 21 in the Ex. They both look fine in my opinion so that is not a factor. I know the retail values are much farther apart, but the trade value are only about $700-$800 in my favor, and my Ex will need tires before winter, so I'll call it about even. Don't really need four full doors, as it is mainly used as a work vehicle. I do tow the boat, but my daughter is young enough to be happy in the smallish back seat of the F-150. The "value" is my biggest problem with the Explorer. As it is the base model and only 2WD, local dealers are offering me $2500 in trade. Selling on my own might get me $5000, but these things are virtually worthless. I'd love to take advantage of the employee pricing and rebates and buy new, but with the trade value, I'm still looking at going from paid for to $350+ per month. Even trade seems like a better option, and I know how my dad treated his truck. Thanks for the thoughts and please keep them coming.

I was thinking, get a Ranger for gas milage. I like them because they are like the gen2 explorers. As you pointed out you will likely lose too much money in any other type of transaction. That explorer will probably need more than tires soon. They seem to start losing wheel bearings, struts, front end parts, rearends, trans, etc. at around that mileage. I got my 2002 with 60 and now have 100k and have put some pretty good money into it. I think the maintenance costs for the F150 would be less. Hopefully your Dad drives less and would have less maintenance problems and a more comfortable ride.

I'd take the F-150 personally. You can use a lot of the same mods Aldive has used on his explorer to get better mileage. If he's willing to trade with you, why not go ahead and ask him if y'all can trade for a few months and test it out.

Spoke with my Dad tonight, and he is willing to trade for a week as a trial for both of us. The mpg's will be the biggest factor for me as I drive 3500-4000 miles a month. Dad had been putting less than 400 a month on his F-150. I figure the "difference" in values will allow him to do tires, brakes, etc... and not be too far behind. Hopefully I can get at least two relatively trouble free years out of the F-150. Thanks for all the input.

trade/trade

id say keep the explorer and just go get a utility trailer then you got the X and atrailer to haul your stuff around

id say keep the explorer and just go get a utility trailer then you got the X and atrailer to haul your stuff around

I just sold my old Toyota truck and I have been having the same decision going through my head, should I trade for a truck or not. I think getting a small trailer may be my solution. The only mitigating factor is I have 125k on it now and I worry about the tranny going out or something else expensive breaking.

Trade -- or not?

It all depends on your needs for a vehicle. If cargo is the consideration, then you need a pickup. If passengers and comfort are the primary requirement, then you need the Explorer. If recreation is the major requirement, then it could be a toss-up.
For example, in 2006, I went from an 04 Ranger V6 extended cab to the 05 Ex XLT I have now, and wouldn't go back, but my requirements for a vehicle changed and the Ranger had to go. A friend has a 97 F150 V6 stick extended cab and he gets slightly better highway mileage than I do, but he is a more conservative driver than I am.
Not much help, but it really depends on what you need.
Bill W

Back