• Register Today It's free!

to Undercoat or not?

KillerXLT

Reaction score
City, State
PA/NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
Me:95 XLT, V6; Dad: 02 EB
I was inspecting the undercarriage of my 95 Explorer and noticed that there is alot of
surface rust here and there. I also noticed that there were large chips of black paint
coming off the leaf springs ect. Since I work at a stealership do you guys think I should
borrow thier undercoating bay and borrow some undercoat spray to do my explorer?
Someone once told me it can hurt the vehicle to reapply undercoating after it has been
done once already from the factory. Any input is welcomed. Thanks in advanced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say only the rusted areas need attention, no benifit from going over under coating that is still intact.
I would also suggest removing or treating the rust before recoating. Be careful of sparks and fuel if you decide to remove the rust with power tools eg: sander, wirewheels etc........... Good luck!

Naa, you dont want to hit it again. If not done properly undercoating can actually accelerate rusting.

How much rust is there? A certain amount of surface rust under a car is normal.

I'm with Stephen, completely undercoating an older vehicle can actually do more damage than good. if its just light surface rust, it's normal. If it's more serious, then you might want to grind it smooth, apply some rust inhibitor, and paint the areas.

All the paint came off the springs and axle and stuff under my 95, but thats just what happens. I do not think it is anything to worry about. if you would like you could scrape all of the rusat off, sand it, and apply some black rustolium paint, but thats about all I would do.

Back