Tonneau cover cable help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tonneau cover cable help

papabear001

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Sport Trac
Have a 2002 Sport Trac and the tonneau cover doesn't want to release when you turn the key, do I need to replace the cable? If so, any suggestions on where to purchase them at a good price, they are pretty expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a similar problem. The tonneau cover latches near the front of the truck would not unlatch, leaving me unable to take off the cover. I did not replace the cable to fix it, I fixed it with zip ties so to completely remove the cover I have to climb under the cover and pull the zip ties to unlock the latches. The latch mechanisms are held in place with a piece of metal that moves horizontally. If you look at a working latch you can figure out what I'm talking about. Lubricate the latches and then place a zip tie on the metal piece that toggles the lock so you can pull it easily and unlock the cover.

Another reason your latches might not work is that a little plastic piece that maintains tension in the cable is broken. The plastic piece is inside the lock mechanism, and you can access it by unscrewing the screws that hold the metal case over the latch. Look at an undamaged lock mechanism (one of your four should still be ok), and find a way to secure the plastic piece where it is supposed to go.

I had a similar problem. The tonneau cover latches near the front of the truck would not unlatch, leaving me unable to take off the cover. I did not replace the cable to fix it, I fixed it with zip ties so to completely remove the cover I have to climb under the cover and pull the zip ties to unlock the latches. The latch mechanisms are held in place with a piece of metal that moves horizontally. If you look at a working latch you can figure out what I'm talking about. Lubricate the latches and then place a zip tie on the metal piece that toggles the lock so you can pull it easily and unlock the cover.

Another reason your latches might not work is that a little plastic piece that maintains tension in the cable is broken. The plastic piece is inside the lock mechanism, and you can access it by unscrewing the screws that hold the metal case over the latch. Look at an undamaged lock mechanism (one of your four should still be ok), and find a way to secure the plastic piece where it is supposed to go.

Thanks...I'll check it out!

Going to try the Zip Tie thing. I just bought a used cover and didn't realize the locks were busted. I only paid $65 for it, but its worthless if I can not remove it once installed. Thanks for this idea.

Have a 2002 Sport Trac and the tonneau cover doesn't want to release when you turn the key, do I need to replace the cable? If so, any suggestions on where to purchase them at a good price, they are pretty expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ebay has but if you buy the used whole cover is cheaper

Back