Took my 2016 Explorer Sport home today. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Took my 2016 Explorer Sport home today.

ShiloJess

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
What a wonderful vehicle, hope this impression stays for a few years :). Thank you all who add such invaluable information, I guess I shall stick around for awhile.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gotta post delivery pics from the dealer......mandatory Forum rules

Congratulations shilojess, we're up to 150 miles now. I need to get some pictures too.
It is a very nice vehicle indeed.

Congratulations shilojess, we're up to 150 miles now. I need to get some pictures too.
It is a very nice vehicle indeed.
I think you either have to update your profile or add your new vehicle to your signature. Not sure what you have.

Peter

What a wonderful vehicle, hope this impression stays for a few years :). Thank you all who add such invaluable information, I guess I shall stick around for awhile.

Congrats! Cannot wait to see! May I suggest: Full Synthetic oil change at 1000-2000 miles and 89-91 Octane minimum and you should enjoy performance and longevity on your Ex Sport Ecoboost!

I have been getting 19-20 MPG on 93 Shell V-Power (for the advertised detergents) and only half of my daily commute is on the interstate (remainder being stop and go Chicago suburb traffic). When I'm on the interstate strictly, I am getting about 23-24 when I use cruise. Not bad for a 365hp vehicle!

Congrats. Enjoy! Loving mine. Just got back and added some accessories. Will post pics soon as well.

Congrats! Cannot wait to see! May I suggest: Full Synthetic oil change at 1000-2000 miles and 89-91 Octane minimum and you should enjoy performance and longevity on your Ex Sport Ecoboost!

I have been getting 19-20 MPG on 93 Shell V-Power (for the advertised detergents) and only half of my daily commute is on the interstate (remainder being stop and go Chicago suburb traffic). When I'm on the interstate strictly, I am getting about 23-24 when I use cruise. Not bad for a 365hp vehicle!
I used 91 octane in mine all last Winter and went back to 87 since I didn't notice any real change. No difference in mpg or noticeable performance to justify the extra cost.

Peter

ShiloJess,

Thanks for sharing the great news, and congrats on your new ride. :D Feel free to contact my colleagues at FordServiceCA, if you have any questions about your Explorer.

In the meantime, happy cruising, and try not to speed! :burnout:

Tricia

I used 91 octane in mine all last Winter and went back to 87 since I didn't notice any real change. No difference in mpg or noticeable performance to justify the extra cost.

Peter

Personally, I have noticed better fuel economy after running a whole tank of premium and continuing to do so. And performance wise, even the manual acknowledges you will get optimum performance on premium fuel.

Furthermore, most mechanics I have talked to will tell you it is better to run higher octane in turbo motors.

Not to hi-jack her thread, but as far as my understanding, the ecoboost can tell and will adjust accordingly on whether you are running regular or higher octane fuels. The computer will increase the ignition timing if a higher octane fuel is used. particularly at low RPM where there is not much spark lead by nature, an increase in timing will provide for considerable OPPORTUNITY for better combustion and more complete burn, thus better fuel economy.

As I have read before, although most engines do not *require* high octane fuel, many do not have different spark maps to accommodate the higher octane fuel. Ecoboost does, so there is a potential for better performance and fuel economy if it is used. not saying it will or it wont, just that the potential is there.

I have one for you, so far the fuel economy gauge is saying I am getting 8.4 L/100km. That seems so far out in left field for city and some country road driving so far. I assume this will get worst? That is about 29 MPG...
About 300kms

Peter
Peter any explanation for my gas L/100km?
I have one for you, so far the fuel economy gauge is saying I am getting 8.4 L/100km. That seems so far out in left field for city and some country road driving so far. I assume this will get worst? That is about 29 MPG...
About 300kms driven

It'll get worse. Step on her a bit. I've had mine over 2 years now. Average 12.8 L/100

Congrats. I'm up to 2500 plus miles since about August 8. Get out there and drive the sport some more.

Peter any explanation for my gas L/100km?
About 300kms driven
I wish my reading was like that. That is great mileage. The 2016 is rated at City/Hwy 20/29. Usually the mileage will improve after the engine 'break-in' period.

From the Owner's Guide;
Calculating Fuel Economy
Do not measure fuel economy during the first 1000 miles (1600 kilometers) of driving (this is your engine’s break-in period); a more accurate measurement is obtained after 2000 miles - 3000 miles (3200 kilometers - 4800 kilometers).

My combined readings are more like those of broken strut.

Peter

I installed my Husky floor liners and Weathertech cargo liner today. As well removed the dealer decal badge and the ecoboost on the rear tailgate. Looks so much cleaner.:)

Back