• Register Today It's free!

Torque converter broke

justinf89

Reaction score
City, State
Hampton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 xlt 4x4
I'm posting this from the 95 to 01 forum. Forgot there was a transmission sub forum. Please help me if possible, this is my main means of transportation. I just want to be sure I'm looking at a bad torque converter before I pull the trans. I'm going to start on it tomorrow so any help is greatly appreciated.

----------------------------------
Today when pulling off, I had to almost floor it to get it to move so I quickly parked it.

It's a 97 4x4 with 5r55e, 155k miles.

A little history.
- During this entire time over several months, the transmission shifted perfect and lockup was perfect and pulled hard so I just rolled with it.
- Over the past couple of months, the transmission started to whine at start up which I assumed was torque converter whine. It only whined in drive and reverse. I actually have an audio file of the noise if necessary. Here's the noise. You can hear at 10s when I put it into gear. It no longer makes this noise(as bad) but it did this for a couple months.https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7l...it?usp=sharing
- Whenever I put it in gear, it goes into gear pretty hard, Forward and Reverse
- When I checked the codes, it had p0741 stored which is tcc lockup solenoid. - Ever since the whine started, the o/d light has been flashing ONLY UNTIL the first lockup at about 35mph, then the flashing stops and doesn't return until you shut it off and back on again.
- I did see the 4wd lights flash a few times last week when I first started it up then went away.

Today
- The transmission fluid is perfect in level and quality, no debris.
- Have to accelerate hard to get it to move.
- Seem to hear some clunking when first put it into gear
- Lockup still occurs at around 35mph and OD light stops flashing
- NEW CODE - P1762 - occured when I had to accelerate hard to get it to move. I think this might have caused it because it came on at that moment.

I've never done any major transmission work but I can do the job. I've just never had to on any of my vehicles.

I was thinking, can I see if the torque converter is bad by power braking it? Hold the brakes and wot it in drive to see what the rpms get to? I believe this is considered the stall speed of the converter.

Is there a way I can check line pressure? If it's the pump it seems like that would be easily diagnosed.

Will I be able to see if the torque converter is bad f I take it off? Cut it open? Probably needed for a core though.

I just don't want to tear into it and replace unnecessary parts. I really think the transmission is fine because it shifted perfect in all gears up until now it takes a lot of power to get it to move. I don't know about the solenoids. I guess they can be tested. I'm an electrical engineer but I don't know where or which to test.

I just need help on where to start. I don't want to take everything off then not be able to do any tests. This will all be done in my driveway by the way.

Any and all tips/advice is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post. I'm sure I don't have to tell you what it's like to lose your main transportation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your click on doesn't work. It sounds like there are more problems than just the torque converter, which may have nothing wrong with it.
P0741 has many things which can cause this code. P1762 overdrive band failed off, this is an internal problem, could be stuck valve in the valve body, or several other things, check the adjustment, band may be broke.
It sounds like you need a rebuild.
Yes you can check the pressure. There is a sticky in the beginning of the forum that tells you how to do it, look for it under a sticky in the sub folders.
No you won't be able to tell if the torque converter is bad, takes special tools to check it.
Flooring it to get it to move is probably causing damage.

Your click on doesn't work. It sounds like there are more problems than just the torque converter, which may have nothing wrong with it.
P0741 has many things which can cause this code. P1762 overdrive band failed off, this is an internal problem, could be stuck valve in the valve body, or several other things, check the adjustment, band may be broke.
It sounds like you need a rebuild.
Yes you can check the pressure. There is a sticky in the beginning of the forum that tells you how to do it, look for it under a sticky in the sub folders.
No you won't be able to tell if the torque converter is bad, takes special tools to check it.
Flooring it to get it to move is probably causing damage.

Thanks for the info, I'll see what I can do to check the pressure. Here's the fixed link to the audio file. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7lwkzw7EXtLZUtOeGR6RVVCa2s/edit?usp=sharing

Here is the link to using a pressure gauge--http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117998
The port in the picture towards the end is the Line pressure port, the is another port on the passenger side towards the rear which is the EPC solenoid pressure.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117998

Thanks for the help. I should be able to check the pressures this weekend. Would low pressures automatically mean a bad pump or could something be leaking pressure inside like the tc? I don't know how it all works...

Back