Torque Converter Clutch-- Experience Gained | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Converter Clutch-- Experience Gained

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
Here is something significant that few address: Once at cruising speed, say 55 or so, not accelerating or decelerating more than just a little, each time you lift your foot off the gas pedal, or often just release it about half-way, the TCC disengages. Upon pressing down on pedal again, the clutch re-engages after a bit of time.

So, if you are one of those drivers, like my wife, who gets on and off the pedal all the time, you can almost bet the TCC Solenoid will be the first to go bad. I practice driving with a steady pedal, even if descending a long hill, easing off of it lightly, not much, just to keep speed from getting too high.

Judging by the amount of discussion here about the TCC and it's Solenoid, which causes the TCC to engage when it is electrically energized, this observation may hold water.

Not sure why Ford programs this way. Thought about installing a manual switch to keep TCC engaged whenever I want to. This, however, would result in the PCM "throwing" a flashing idiot light, which I really don't want. PCM does that when it detects the TCC is not where it was commanded to be.

Side note: the old AOD transmission operated in 3rd. and 4th. gears with no torque converter action by having a second, coaxial input shaft driven by the converter housing itself, at engine speed at all times, in 3 & 4. Good mechanical compromise, not most wonderful results, especially with numerically low axle ratios. Just my opinion, FWIW. imp

Back