Torque Converter Install Issue | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Converter Install Issue

@410Fortune
Well I'm now Expert of Course... but have learned a bunch... and that puts me at ease to know you've dropped nuts in Bell Housing
and Yes Yes Yes .... get them out to save yourself the embarrassment from Colleagues.... Luckily for me there was No One Around

I was very hesitant to post the fact that I did in this Forum :)
@410Fortune I Meant: "I'm No Expert" lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sheesh Ive been building these things a long while and I am not afraid of being judged for my mistakes, instead I post them up so we can all learn.

@410Fortune

Absolutely! Ill post my entire experience when done.
@410Fortune
@DILLARD000

Looks like another Road Bump.....

First I Replaced every accessory to engine ....Except the Starter....

So my buddy and I got the Truck all together and was letting it run and getting transmission filled etc
and then we heard some noise ....we knew it had someting to do with Starter ....it was late so we called it a night.

Tonight I pulled the Starter out ....And ....See Pics ....
My limited knowledge tells me the starter didnt release off Flexplate after starting ....???

I stopped for the night but tomorrow Ill put eyes on Flexplate

Also Ive got New Starter in hand.

How likely is it that the Flexplate is toast
And what other damage could this have done ?

Looks like Im pulling Transmission after all to replace Flexplate?

Well if it were easy Id give up ...seriously and LOL at this point

20201203_222655.jpg

20201203_222701.jpg

dang yes the pinion is still "kicked out" it should have retracted

When you engage the starter that pinion gear spins out to reach the flexplate, and then it springs back
IN that picture of the starter the pinion is still kicked out.
You can get a good look at the flexplate teeth through the starter hole, just turn the engine around by hand to have a look see.........

Nothing worth having is easy. I had my 5 speed trans out of my truck 3 times in one week before. I had to re do the injectors in my 97 F350 about 4 times in one month before.......this is all part of the learning curve at the school of hard knocks.

Hoping your flexplate is still in good shape and only the pinion bearing took a beating.
Are you sure there is no converter nut jammed up inside of that starter?

(kidding!)

When you engage the starter that pinion gear spins out to reach the flexplate, and then it springs back
You can get a good look at the flexplate teeth through the starter hole, just turn the engine around by hand to have a look see.........

Nothing worth having is easy. I had my 5 speed trans out of my truck 3 times in one week before. I had to re do the injectors in my 97 F350 about 4 times in one month before.......this is all part of the learning curve at the school of hard knocks.

Hoping your flexplate is still in good shape and only the pinion bearing took a beating.

(kidding!)
@410Fortune

Well No Kidding... that was my thought as well... as far as Convert Nut.... I'm going to probe it again today with that Magnet

so another question in regards ... Would we have heard the nut rattling around after starting ? .... from what I remember the engine ran for at
least 30 seconds to 1 minute before the Pinion didn't retract then we heard the "Noise"

I also probed the bell housing and flexplate several times before re-assembling and putting starter in

I will update you after I look at FlexPlate and Probe again for Nut

(kidding!)
@410Fortune

OK I turned I turned Drive /Crank Shaft going around 2 times on Flexplate.....I marked a spot with a razor knife to know I went around 2x

You can see the mark in the last pic.

the only Big thing I pulled out is in pic 1 (its not metal because it doesn't attract to magnet, I just have sitting on the magnet so you can see
"it" better in pic)

I took about 20 photos....put eyes on Flex Plate with Flashlight in addition to Photos.
All the other photos look the same

(Looks like the Flexplate is Good) ? and I can go ahead and button it back up with "New" Starter ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One other small (maybe semi-big issue) I need to replace Gasket Between Transfer Case and Park Hull (End of Transmission)
(last pic)

I don't think the transmission has to be dropped does it?
or
Can I just Unbolt Transfer Case Drop it only ?

and Yes nothing Easy is Worth Having... 100% my Motto as well

Again Thank You Gratefully,

DSteele

20201204_140547.jpg

20201204_132934.jpg

20201204_133424.jpg

20201204_134952.jpg

20201204_140620.jpg

TransferCase_Gasket_Leaking.jpg

flex plate took a little bit of a beating but no teeth are half missing or anything I would run it

The piece of metal looks like it is part of the starter pinion? it sure took a beating!

I would install new starter, make sure its TIGHT and try again

There is a weep hole between the t case and the auto trans, so if there is fluid in that area it will drip out. It is very likely you got some fluid back there during the install of your trans. I would give it some time see if it stops dripping before you go dropping the t case again to replace the gasket

flex plate took a little bit of a beating but no teeth are half missing or anything I would run it

The piece of metal looks like it is part of the starter pinion? it sure took a beating!

I would install new starter, make sure its TIGHT and try again

There is a weep hole between the t case and the auto trans, so if there is fluid in that area it will drip out. It is very likely you got some fluid back there during the install of your trans. I would give it some time see if it stops dripping before you go dropping the t case again to replace the gasket
@410Fortune

Thanks for weighing in on Transfer Case / Trannt Gasket.

I read about Weep Hole and that could be an issue.... but going to replace "Make shift Gasket"

In Short, O'Reilly's did not have the Gasket in stock so we Oulined / Traced the new Gasket from a Roll of Gasket that you can buy
(Obviously a Dumb illogical decision ... but it was late nearly midnight and we were just trying to wrap project up.... if this wasn't my vehicle I surely wouldn't have done that).... also part of that decision was reading on how people do not even use a Gasket or they use RTV btw.

Again the Main Theme "Learning on the Fly" ; "Another Lesson of Patience is a Virtue"

I have new Gasket in Hand and will replace "Make Shift Gasket" with it.

In Regards to Starter it Happened Again (I'm goin to Create a New Post)

"Starter Gear Not Retracting after Starting "

Please look out for it

Thanks Again

Back