• Register Today It's free!

Torque converter rattle?

limo_dan

Reaction score
City, State
Western Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
I have a 97 Explorer Sport that has developed a rattle that appears to be comming from the Torque Converter area. There is no noise when the truck is running in park but is very noticable when placed into gear. My first guess is the torque converter itself. I'm not a transmission guy so I thought I would ask someone who may have had this type of issue before or is more farmilar with Explorer transmissions. The transmission runs and shifts exactly like it should with no slippage. My question is. Is there something in the torque converter that would cause this noise? Would I be ok to pull the trans and replace the TQ without doing anything else (except new fluid and filter)? I'd hate to do all this work and not solve my problem. I'd take it to the local transmission guy but I'm afraid all I will hear is "REBUILD". Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the heat shields around the cats on the exhaust. Also check the dust shield on the trans. They can come loose and rattle at certain rpms.

For Sale??

also check your skid plate that covers your transfer case if you have one, mine rubs the damper on the t.case that makes a horrid train wreck noise.

Torque Conterter Rattle ???

I climbed under the Explorer with it running and had my wife put it in and out of Park. The noise comes and goes with no noise in Park.(Don't try this at home... if you do make sure to tell her you didn't send the life insurance payment yet before you climb under) I listened to different areas of the trans and motor through a paper tube and the noise is deffinately loudest inside the bellhousing area. My only other concern would be the pump???

If it sounds like a knock, its probably a cracked flexplate. If you have access to a bore scope, pull your starter to inspect.

Torque Converter rattle???

It does sound like a knocking noise. Is a cracked Flexplate a common problem? Would a cracked flexplate only emit a noise when in gear and not in park or nuetral? I'll pull the starter and take a look. Where would a crack be most likely to appear?

Check out places adjacent to the bolts. It could be that when it is loaded/under torque that the noise increases because the flex plate actually is straining

Torque Converter rattle???

I pulled the transmission last night. (No fun - No fun at all ). The Flexplate is cracked and had started to rotate around the mounting holes to the crank. WTF! This is a new one to me. I appreciate the suggestions form you guys. I don't know that I would have looked for that. It wasn't very visable until I pulled the Flexplate off the motor. The flange on the spacer where the flexplate mounts is chipped away where the transmission spline fits in. The very tip of the spline shows indications that it has been vibrating against the spacer. Does anyone have a suggestion on the best method to solve this problem from happening again? New parts? OEM or Aftermarket Or should I just look for good used ones? (As mentioned before - NO FUN, I wouldn't want to do this again.) Thanks, Dan

There is an updated version of the spacer that's made of a different kind of metal. Also make sure you get NEW bolts and flexplate. (not used)

torque converter rattle???

Would you happen to know where I could get the updated verion of the spacer. Is this an item I need to get from a dealer? I've been searching online and with the local auto parts store without any luck.

Sorry for the late reply. I had to replaced the flywheel last year in my wife's ex. Our's had the whole center broke loose.

I would advise buy a genuine Ford flywheel. The aftermarket ones from Autozone are thinner that the original Ford one. Ford had redesigned the flywheel to make it thicker as 1 piece in stead of a plate spot welded on to the flywheel. I do not remember the difference in thickness but it was quite a difference.

Back