• Register Today It's free!

Torque converter?

jrthomas05

Reaction score
City, State
kansas city
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
I have a 2007 explorer limited 4.6 with 6r60. Im in the process of replacing my torque converter and through my job there system only shows a torque converter for the 5r55. Is there a differance between the converts. I cant seem to get a excact answer from the dealership. Its a special order so its going to take 2 weeks to get it rather know forsure before i order it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go and get the part somewhere else, obviously the individual at the counter doesn't know how to look up a part number correctly for your vehicle. The 5R and the 6R have completely different torque converters, part numbers and prices. 5R55S = 4L2Z-7902-AARM and the 6R60 = 9L3Z-7902-B. Just so you know, I got this info from fordparts.com

Its at napa i watched the guy enter everything and was looking at the page and seen noticed it said for the 5r even online its the same. I get a hell of a discount thats the only reason i buy from napa.

When I look at it the notes on the item specifically state that it is only for the 5R55 transmissions. No where in the description does it state that it is for the 6R60. In this case the part lookup for NAPA is wrong.
You can find good remanufactured units on ebay for less than the NAPA price (maybe not after the employee discount) after you get the core charge back: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6R60-6R75-6...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27dafaf85e&vxp=mtr

Edit: I believe that the confusion may be related to the fact that a 5 speed transmission was mated to the 4.6L engine in earlier generations, but not ours.

What all do you need to do to drop the transmission.

Might be a dumb question but what fluids would be best. I can get royal purple, mobil 1, valvoline all through napa for a decent price. We dont carry motorcraft. Should have my torque converter by friday. Going to use my buddys lift so shouldnt be bad. Going to do front and rear diffs while im at at.

Also im already running royal purple oil right now.

Any fluid that meets or exceeds the Mercon SP spec. for the transmission should be fine. As far as the front and rear diffs, a full synthetic gear oil at 75-90 for the front and 75-140 for the rear.

Back