Solved - Torsion Bar 101, Everything you Need to look for! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Torsion Bar 101, Everything you Need to look for!

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Part numbers and prices (circa 1997)

Parts and Tools needed:
Ford Aduster Tool #T95T-5310-A (Helpful, but not absolutely necessary)
Torsion Bar "B"code-F57Z*5B326A AND F57Z*5B327A
$49.62 and $47.92 (back in 1997)
Adusters F57Z*5B328A (If yours are in good shape and not corroded onto the bars you probably won't need to replace them.) $40.00 for the pair
Torsion Bolts/stock length N811015-S100 BOLT M1 45591 $3.23 each (in 2002)
Sway Bar Link replacement parts- $55.00 total.
Studs-F77Z*5495*AA
Nuts-F77Z*5C491*AA
Links-F77Z*5K483*AA
These were longer links than the stock ones and gave me some more travel...
1/2", 3/4" Box open end and socket wrenches. Ratchets preferred!
Floor jack
Jack stands -2
Liquid wrench, or WD-40

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what is the max you should go with the lift. I've heard 1.75, and thats sounds decent, but would 2" hurt?

If you can even get a full 2" out of the TTs, you are not going to hurt anything. Any more than that, you may encounters some problems.

Robb

ok my torsion bars are rated d, would that give me any idea how many turns I need to get 2"?

D would tell you that they are pretty stiff. That would make us B guys jealous. With those, you should be able to get the full 2". The number of turns will vary from truck to truck tho.

Robb

I thought B was the stiffest?

L-B

The bars are labeled L through B. L being the softest. My truck came with D bars and I upgraded to Bs. Much stiffer than the old Ds.
If you are going with 32" tires or less I would stick with the D rated bars as the ride and travel should be better. You don't need more than 2" for the 32s. Any bigger tires and you are going to need to either cut some tupperware/metal or go with a 3" body lift... On mine I had to do all of the above for the 33s...

Some have gotten away with maxing out their bars. My CV joints made a grinding sound when I max them out so I keep the bolts at about half way. I would say crank them until you start to hear your CVs complaining then back them off a couple turns. Every truck will be different depending on wear, quality of build, and weight in the vehicle. I've seen another Sport similar to mine that got more lift than I did with less stiff bars.
Rick

Re: L-B

Originally posted by ExplorGM
The bars are labeled L through B. L being the softest. My truck came with D bars and I upgraded to Bs. Much stiffer than the old Ds.
If you are going with 32" tires or less I would stick with the D rated bars as the ride and travel should be better. You don't need more than 2" for the 32s. Any bigger tires and you are going to need to either cut some tupperware/metal or go with a 3" body lift... On mine I had to do all of the above for the 33s...

Some have gotten away with maxing out their bars. My CV joints made a grinding sound when I max them out so I keep the bolts at about half way. I would say crank them until you start to hear your CVs complaining then back them off a couple turns. Every truck will be different depending on wear, quality of build, and weight in the vehicle. I've seen another Sport similar to mine that got more lift than I did with less stiff bars.
Rick

what sort of grinding noise? Did it get worse with the 4x4 engaged?

Well it sounds like the D rated will get me what I want which is 2" and I'm running 31s but might want to go to 32" BFG MT someday if possible

Grinding

Hard to explain the noise... It was almost a whirring sound. If you've ever had a CV joint go bad, its like that but not nearly as bad sounding. I really had to listen carefully to hear it. I had street tires on at the time. With ATs or MTs I would not have heard it. I tried adjusting up and down several times (this was back in 99) to make sure I knew when it started or stopped depending on the amount of twist. Now, the only time I will crank it up all the way would be for an off-road trip.

Plus, cranking the torsion bolts all the way increases the chance that they will break off-road because of the extra leverage. Which as many of you know :( has happened to me!

I've also had the adjuster arms come out of their pockets when the tension was too high... That was almost as much fun as breaking a bolt!
Rick

By the way will doing the shackle torsion twist lift kill my 2 year 24000 mile extended warranty?

Originally posted by taxxman2k
I thought B was the stiffest?

OH YEA, wow, that was a big brainfart on my part!

Sorry bout that,

Robb

Originally posted by Big Bear Bob
By the way will doing the shackle torsion twist lift kill my 2 year 24000 mile extended warranty?

No. Not unless they can prove that by doing the TT, you damaged the specific component that broke.

Thats a great, but now my wife says she does not no way want me to do the tt shackle lift, and thats after I bought the warrior war153's, and had help promised.

I'm only running 31's but the spine on the drivers side wore through, and I was thinking that when I replaced the 31's I'd go with 32's, Oh well.....

Thanks for responding though, and maybe she'll change her mind again, who knows

Wait till she is gone for a day, and do it then! She may NEVER know! You know women and Cars, they don't pay that uch attention to them unless they are broke...

Originally posted by CBoug76
Wait till she is gone for a day, and do it then! She may NEVER know! You know women and Cars, they don't pay that uch attention to them unless they are broke...

Or untill they decide you spend way to much time "playing" with them:D

Buy her roses...

Sounds like a little negotiation is in order!

My wife was not excited about lifting the truck either, but now that it's done, she enjoys the off road trips and likes to drive the truck.

Tell your wife the safety benefits...
Better view to see others on the road and extra altitude to be seen more easily.

Getting wider tires (32's) would give you a more stable base. Less tippy! You know how those stock Explorers like to roll over! Out of our group I not a single lifted Explorer has rolled on the road during normal driving conditions.

Tell her a big truck will help your self esteem allowing you to pay more attention to her, work harder, and be a better all around guy!

Tell her the ugly alternatives... In my case it was either the Explorer or a Subaru Wagon. It was actually my wife that chose the Explorer over the Subaru!

Do some extra chores around the house and take her to dinner if all else fails!

Do you think the Lion asks the Lioness for permission to do anything? Heck No! He basks in the sun all day while she hunts and raises the kids.
Be the Lion!

Tell her a big truck will help your self esteem allowing you to pay more attention to her, work harder, and be a better all around guy!

She may just think you are full of BS if you use that one. But if she doesn't buy it and you are running out of reasons, you may want to try it.

Robb

Thanks but none of the above will work.

Unfortunately it's gone beyond that, she's still screaming about it today. She drives the truck during the week most of the time, I get it when we go off-road, or long trips.

It p***** me off because I was given $200.00 for my birthday, and ended up paying for Shocks (the X had over 80000 miles on the original shocks), and a Alignment. Then I got a $70.00 Refund some software she bought, and said I could have the rebate then that went towards a coolant flush. Then I got a $50 rebate from BFG on my All Terrain TA/KO's. I told her the shackles where about $50.00 and we talked about doing the TT Shackle lift and she seemed fine with it. Then after UPS drops the shackles off yesterday she flips out!!

Today she says I can have it done only by a pro-shop of some sort when I get about $1000.00 back pay that's owed to me by the Federal Government who says it might or might not get here in the next few months.

I called several places yesterday and found two shops that said they would do it but that it would cost $400.00 to $500.00 just to put the shackles on and do the TT…

Oh well I'll just say thanks for your replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I truly feel for you man.

I'm going to go home and kiss my wife and thank her for being her.

Back