Torsion twist for dummies! (pics included) | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion twist for dummies! (pics included)

ok. iv read all 7 pages of this thread. iv only had my exp for almost 2 weeks now and iv been considering this the whole time. i do have some repair work i have to do before upgrading, but let me just ask one question. i have 4wd. and im not going over 2 in. so the TT and shackles is all i do correct? basically depending on where i get the shackles and liq wrench and jacks thats the only expenses (other than post-op work like alignment)?

sorry if my question is very noob'ish

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok. iv read all 7 pages of this thread. iv only had my exp for almost 2 weeks now and iv been considering this the whole time. i do have some repair work i have to do before upgrading, but let me just ask one question. i have 4wd. and im not going over 2 in. so the TT and shackles is all i do correct? basically depending on where i get the shackles and liq wrench and jacks thats the only expenses (other than post-op work like alignment)?

sorry if my question is very noob'ish

We're use to the newby questions. And yes that's all you need to do is put the shackles on and crank the tbar bolts. PB Blaster works very well. I myself live in PA where winter can be harsh to our trucks my rockers are horrible but I did the tt with the truck sitting on the ground it can be done but not exactly recommended because there is a slight chance you could break the adjusting bolt. And for the rear I used my bottle jack between the leaf spring and the frame to create a gap. Just take precaution to doing the mods.

We're use to the newby questions. And yes that's all you need to do is put the shackles on and crank the tbar bolts. PB Blaster works very well. I myself live in PA where winter can be harsh to our trucks my rockers are horrible but I did the tt with the truck sitting on the ground it can be done but not exactly recommended because there is a slight chance you could break the adjusting bolt. And for the rear I used my bottle jack between the leaf spring and the frame to create a gap. Just take precaution to doing the mods.

of course! and thanks for the quick reply. im definately looking to do this!

though i am concerned with the outcome look of my veh since i prob wont upgrade my tires til i actually need to. and ill prob stick with my fac rims unless i find a steal.

so lift with standard tires vs having to wait a while til i get new tires then slapping the lift on it.

Ok, trying to track down some info, so I thought I'd add these for reference...

a way to tell would be to look at the angle of your torsion bars, if they're almost level or level with the lower control arms and the lower control arms are almost level with the cross member by looking at the front, then it is probably at stock.

From center of front CV axle spindle to bottom of fender lip is 19-7/8"
Does this look TT'd?

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

Does twisting the torsion bolts mess up your 4wd? I did this the other day and love the way it picked the front end up. Please let me know the effects on the 4wd.

I am planning on doing a TT/Shackles on my 98 X soon,and had a quick question. After doing a TT, is there any way of strengthening the CV axles/joints? Or even swapping for parts that would handle the new angle better??? Not sure if this has been thought of or attempted on a TT'd IFS vehicle, but it could be worth the research... Then again with the time and resources to look into that, someone would prob be better of doing an SAS... Just a thought, and if anybody has heard anything, let me know. Thanks!

Awesome write up here. Nice to have a standard, basic write up for check up. I have already done this however I was hoping to get some thoughts... im quite certain I tighten both sides 4 times however one side seemes to be fully tightened while the other is more loose and could take another turn it seems... what do you think?

thanks

Awesome write up here. Nice to have a standard, basic write up for check up. I have already done this however I was hoping to get some thoughts... im quite certain I tighten both sides 4 times however one side seemes to be fully tightened while the other is more loose and could take another turn it seems... what do you think?

thanks

nevermind, I hear this is normal and not something to worry about. still kind of confusing though... something to do with driver in vehicle constantly - weight in front left side of vehicle??

any thoughts or opinions would be great. thx

A question please.
if you do say a 1 1/2" TT lift on the front how do i get the same lift on the rear so as to keep the truck level please ?
p.s I live in the UK and have a 97 explorer 4wd
thanks
Keith

Warrior Products makes lift shackles for the rear, part # 153 I believe. If you can't get a set over there here's the demansions so you can make a set or have a set made.

picture.php

fantastic you guys are top notch
thanks

just 2 more questions please
1: the diameter of the 4 holes ?
2: total lift provided by this shackle?

thanks
Keith

15mm holes, you get 1.5" lift.

that's excellent thank you very much

sorry to be a pain but I want to get this right first time,
1: the bottom measurement i.e. the 3.8" is that from the outside or the inside of the two long plates ?
2: what size are the bolts ? I would like to get new ones before I start the job
and do they need to be High Tensile steel bolts ?
thank you

I just got the Truxxx front end lift kit pn 101050, does anyone have any pics of these type of torsion keys installed???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Q: By completing the torsion twist, does it lift the truck or just the front?
A: Just the front.
From the OP. Adjusting the front will affect the opposite REAR corner height. Left front up = Right rear down.

Back