• Register Today It's free!

Tow Hitch

ninarn1

Reaction score
City, State
Palmer, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
I have a 2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD, and I was just told by someone in the service department of my local dealership that the only tow hitch that can be installed on this vehicle is a class 1 hitch which is only for a bike rack, not for towing. I am livid as this is an SUV and a very large part of my reason for buying it! Someone please tell me they are wrong and that I can at least tow a small trailer with this vehicle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Option package 53G is the factory class III towing package.

Did you discuss this option with your dealer?

Check out this link.

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/11FLMRVTT_ExplorerNov18.pdf

This gal may be best to talk to:

Crystal [MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION]

p: 800.392.FORD
t: [MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION] [MENTION=1095]FORD[/MENTION]
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford

You should be good up to 2,000 lbs; that's a Class I tow hitch.

It's always a good idea to buy the tow package on any new vehicle even if you don't plan to tow. The upgraded transmission and engine coolers will add longevity to your vehicle.

I added a class I hitch to the Freestyle back in the day and I towed plenty of times with it. Pulled a 5x7 U-Haul box trailer with a couple of mopeds and a bunch of other stuff in it over 600 miles. Not a problem.

You are limited compared to the factory tow package (which I got this time around). I believe 2000lbs (vs 5000) and 200lb max tongue weight.

Back