tow hook setup? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tow hook setup?

jgilbs

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, IL(home)/Iowa City, IA(school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
i am lookin at installing tow hooks on my 92x. first off, is it better to install them in the front or the rear? wouldnt tryin to pull in your reverse gear do more damage to the tranny than in 1st? or is it the same? i have a 220v 100amp welder so i was thinkin of welding the hooks to the frame instead of bolting. has anyone done this before? also, where is a good place to get cheap, but strong hooks?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should have them both front and rear in case you get stuck, but it's better to pull out someone else going forward.

Most hooks that you see for $10-12 are good enough, Reese makes good ones. However, I'd bolt it (maybe weld also), but not just weld it.

Don't weld them to the frame, if that weld breaks your fubar.. Bolt them on using grade 8 bolts..

and don't just get those cheap hooks at local parts store... will rust and look ugly in no time... you can brake them pretty darn fast too (Made in China crap)

instead get original GM hooks that were factory equipment on Blazers or factory Jeep Wrangler tow hooks... fit the best - don't weld them - bolt them front and back.

I always get black ones.. The ones I bought at Advance Auto were $9 or $10..

Back