• Register Today It's free!

tow hooks help

anti*commander

Reaction score
City, State
algonquin, IL.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
well the other day i went off roading with my buddy, keep in mind i have a completely stock explorer in terms of suspension and tires (tires are stock size, not stock stock), well, going through a nice deep mud pit with a "median" in the middle, i got hung up, and couldnt move with my rear driver tire off the ground, the rear passenger only 6 inches showing, and exaust pipe only 2 inches off the water, i got towed out (thank god) by my buddy with a chain. the thing is it took us forever to attach the chane to where it would be safe to pull me out.

my question's are:

has anyone mounted tow hooks on a 99 explorer and have pictures?

which is better, tow chain or strap? ive read that when a chain breaks its pretty violent, but ive also read that a strap is like a rubber band and stores its energy, and when it snaps, the energey is released very violently.

sorry for my spellin, just worked a 16 hour day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many people mount hooks on the bottom side of the frame, there are pictures somewhere, I don't have any though. Another idea is a hitch for the front- they are available for ~$100 and bolt right on. They make excellent recovery points.

you can go to a chevy dealership and grab a pair for an older (late 90s-early 00s) silverado for relatively cheap. they mount to the bottom up the frame rails up front. i remember seeing a writeup here somewhere.....

i took off the air damn on my 96, its the red outlined area in the pic. The yellow spots are where youll have room to bolt tow hooks on. Plus I think it looks better with the air damn off, makes it look like its got more ground clearance :thumbsup:
editedbumper.jpg

i have tow hooks on the front of my 96'. I bought them for 12 bucks from JC Whitney, i used one existing hole and drilled one hole for each hook in the frame pulled the bumper off, fished the nut through the frame and bolted them on. I removed the lower air dam so i dont have a problem with the spacing of the hooks.

thanks for your help guys

if i were to buy some tow hooks from auto zone or walmart or napa etc. would they come with bolts? if not, and i bought them from home depot, would the bolts be strong enough for me to be towed or to tow someone out of fairly deep mud?

make sure they are grade 8.

QUOTE=anti*commander;1768041]thanks for your help guys

if i were to buy some tow hooks from auto zone or walmart or napa etc. would they come with bolts? if not, and i bought them from home depot, would the bolts be strong enough for me to be towed or to tow someone out of fairly deep mud?[/QUOTE]

And stay away from chains. Get a good tow strap with loops on either end, NOT the metal hooks.

Here's a picture of my tow hooks on my 97, mounted to the bottom of the frame rails in the front and rear. Sorry only 1 photo is re-sized.

187_8714.jpg

100_0199.jpg

fogs3-1.jpg

why the spacer on the front?...can you get a better pic of the rear?...and where you bolted it, mine doesnt seem to have alot of space int he back.

I used the spacer, if I remember correctly, because the bolts were too long and I couldn't get the nut on inside the frame without the spacers. I don't have any closer pictures of the rear right now and I can't get any for you until later in the week. I basically just drilled through the open part of the frame. The nuts are like right up against the upright part of the L part of the open frame. If you really need detailed pix, shoot me a PM Friday afternoon and I can have them up for you within a few minutes.

alright thanks, i don't need them right away...cause i am in Ohio at school and my truck is at home in Michigan, but i really do need a rear tow point. When i looked back there and help up one of my front hooks there didn't seem to be enough room.

I picked up a stock tow hook for the rear from ebay. It mounts to the frame on the drivers side. It looks beefy enough and its factory with no drilling required. I believe you can get them off the newer sports.

Dan

this things lowered so i wanted them kind of hidden and not for heavy pulling

F250? front tow hook

DSC00152.jpg

Exploder Sport? rear hook

DSC00151.jpg

The bad thing about the sport hook in the above picture is there is no opening to hook a strap up. You'd need a hook on the rope (not recommended) or to double loop the strap through itself. And i hope that a hard tug on the f250 hook doesn't affect the integrity of the crossmember.

i agree 100% sport hooks are only slightly better than nothing :thumbdwn:

Im pretty sure it'll tweak the front cross member or bend the rear loop if anything past pulling it out of a snowbank is required
not for heavy pulling
... just better than ripping off the bumpers

Oh whoops, i missed that part about no heavy pulling. Still though, I wouldnt want to take a chance, but thats just me being overly cautious.

Back