Tow hooks salvaged from 2000 Ranger XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow hooks salvaged from 2000 Ranger XLT

traveler

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB Explorer 5.0
I was perusing the salvage yard yesterday waiting for them to pull a factory rear mounted tow hook from a 95 Explorer Sport. (anyone ever seen one of those?) I picked up a matching floor mat for my cargo area, and a fully functioning retractable cover for the same cargo area.... but I digress.

I happened to notice a 2000 Ranger XLT with a nice brush guard mounted on it (well, it was nice before the front end collision hehe) But what caught my eye after further observation was it had factory tow hooks in the bumper, very similar to what Ford put on the bigger f-150s. Anyone know if those things would be a simple swap over to the Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats been my biggest concern, the bumper. Pretty sure the frame is the same or close enough, but if there is no opening in the bumper...

I'll have em pulled brackets and all, (they owe me money) and if they don't fit I'll let you know. You may end up with those brackets.

Now, I wonder just how hard it'd be to straighten out that brush guard... hmmm....:scratch:

I think to the right in this picture, are 2 styles of sport rear tow hooks.

stuff002-1.jpg

I'd like to see the ranger tow hooks you scored

Thats been my biggest concern, the bumper. Pretty sure the frame is the same or close enough, but if there is no opening in the bumper...

I'll have em pulled brackets and all, (they owe me money) and if they don't fit I'll let you know. You may end up with those brackets.

Now, I wonder just how hard it'd be to straighten out that brush guard... hmmm....:scratch:

Haha better than me sitting here with a brush guard and lights I can't put on cause i can't find any mounting brackets that I need!

Haha better than me sitting here with a brush guard and lights I can't put on cause i can't find any mounting brackets that I need!

Ohh its the Brush guard brackets you want... I'll ask about them. I do remember seeing a brand name stamped into the brush guard. I'll check it out on Monday, and have them pull the brush guard brackets and the tow hooks.

Jon, as soon as I get to the yard on Monday I'll get a pic of the hooks while on the truck, and after they are removed. The rear tow hook I got looks most like the one in the upper right, used in conjunction with the bracket at the bottom of the pic. By the way, at some future date I'm gonna want those same hooks powdercoated to match the truck.

Ohh its the Brush guard brackets you want... I'll ask about them. I do remember seeing a brand name stamped into the brush guard. I'll check it out on Monday, and have them pull the brush guard brackets and the tow hooks.

Jon, as soon as I get to the yard on Monday I'll get a pic of the hooks while on the truck, and after they are removed. The rear tow hook I got looks most like the one in the upper right, used in conjunction with the bracket at the bottom of the pic. By the way, at some future date I'm gonna want those same hooks powdercoated to match the truck.

Yeah. Figure I get a pretty good old manik one but it doesnt have the mounting brackets that allow it to be attached to the frame..

You need the front frame crossmember if you want to add the ranger tow hooks. You have to remove your current frame horns and weld the full crossmember on. I cut mine off on my ranger in favor for a front hitch mounted on top of the frame rails.

Ok well that's kind of a let down... Was hoping for a bolt-on operation. I'm not experienced at welding and don't have access to a welder anyway. Perhaps I'll just pull the tow hooks, and the entire grill guard and see what I can make of them.

Called the salvage yard and asked them to pull the hooks, damaged grill guard and mounts for same anyway. I'll get pics up when I get them.

Sent from my LGL15G using Forum Runner

Back