• Register Today It's free!

Tow Mode in Driver Settings

Tony407

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
In the driver settings on the LCD panel on the far left, under "tow mode" I think, I'm constantly checking the option box to OFF. However, it seems to default to the checked on position every time I look. I think in my driver's manual it said something about tow mode making the vehicle handle or drive differently when towing.

What exactly is this check box changing? I can't really feel any discernible difference when driving. And I have the tow package. But not towing anything. And not wanting to drive like I'm towing anything.

Tony

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the driver settings on the LCD panel on the far left, under "tow mode" I think, I'm constantly checking the option box to OFF. However, it seems to default to the checked on position every time I look. I think in my driver's manual it said something about tow mode making the vehicle handle or drive differently when towing.

What exactly is this check box changing? I can't really feel any discernible difference when driving. And I have the tow package. But not towing anything. And not wanting to drive like I'm towing anything.

Tony

Are you referring to the "Trailer Sway Control"? If so, the law states that all traction control systems must be set to default whenever a vehicle is turned back on. You can turn it off after the vehicle starts but unfortunately you can't keep it off permanently.

This shouldn't have any noticeable effect while driving without towing anything.

and your speed has to be at least 40mph for it to be active. If it were me, I'd turn it off even if I was trailering. IMO, it does very little to control sway and in fact, reducing speed may actually worsen sway.

Tony
Trailer Sway ON is the default setting. Also for Tow. I don't believe that having the Tow set to 'ON' does anything until you actually press the Tow button by the headlamp control. It is that switch that will physically activate the system. See page 206 (2nd print) of your 2015 Owner's Guide

Peter

I leave mine in Tow mode since it shortens the interval on the relatively useless oil change monitor. Since most of my driving is short-distance (could be considered "severe service"), I'll do the oil change around every 5,000 miles which is about what it is set at in "Tow" and works out to once a year for me. No way would I use 10,000 mile intervals, which I think is what comes up in "Normal" mode.

You should change your oil every 4,000 - 5,000 miles and not even pay attention to the "intelligent oil life monitor" I don't agree with it at all.

You should change your oil every 4,000 - 5,000 miles and not even pay attention to the "intelligent oil life monitor" I don't agree with it at all.

I do.

Trailer Sway ON is the default setting. Also for Tow. I don't believe that having the Tow set to 'ON' does anything until you actually press the Tow button by the headlamp control. It is that switch that will physically activate the system. See page 206 (2nd print) of your 2015 Owner's Guide

Peter

Trailer Sway Control is standard on the base Ford Explorer, so even without the Tow Package (meaning without the Tow/Haul mode) Trailer Sway Control is present. This means that Sway Control is active at all times regardless of Tow/Haul mode.

This is true. I was surprised to learn that our XLT came with sway control when I was doing the research to add factory tow package.

Is it beneficial to use Tow Mode while climbing or descending hills while driving.... even if you're not towing anything?

I'm thinking it would be easier on the transmission and also allow for engine breaking while descending steeper than usual hills.

Any experience with this?

In the 2011 Limited I had I didn't notice any difference with the Tow set to ON or OFF. I didn't have the tow package. I wonder if it actually senses that you have something hooked up (towing) before it will actually activate the system? Perhaps that is why the default is 'ON'.

Peter

Is it beneficial to use Tow Mode while climbing or descending hills while driving.... even if you're not towing anything?

I'm thinking it would be easier on the transmission and also allow for engine breaking while descending steeper than usual hills.

Any experience with this?
You can always try it to see if it does enable engine braking but if my post above is correct, you won't notice anything.

Peter

You can always try it to see if it does enable engine braking but if my post above is correct, you won't notice anything.

Peter

Thanks.... and I'll keep a look out for the spelling police as well.:salute:

Best I can tell, being in tow mode lights up an indicator on the left 4" LCD screen, changes the shift points higher in the RPM band and keeps the Ex from going into 6th gear. Keep a car in tow mode might not hurt things but I'm sure the engine noise is higher at highway speeds when in 5th gear versus being in 6th gear.

On the 2014 Limited, tow mode also enables engine braking.

I noticed this when tow mode was active and I performed a hard deceleration coming into an exit ramp. I was in tow mode hit the brakes and the RPMs shot up. Without tow mode on I hit the brakes and RPMs gradually go down.

Just to clarify, the Tow/Haul mode using the button on the left side below lights switch is different than that in the cluster menu.

The button is only available in vehicles with Tow Package (though can easily be added by replacing the switch), this button changes the transmission's shift points & increases engine braking.

The cluster menu's tow mode is only for Sway Control which alwayd defaults to on at startup. This is related to Stability Control that helps control trailer sway & does not have an effect on normal driving.

Back