• Register Today It's free!

tow point???

bender

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Limited
As a mild wheeler I have a tow strap and a front and rear tow point on my vehicle. However the other vehicles i occasionally wheel with are basically stock with no tow points. What is the best place to attach a strap to on a vehicle with NO tow point? Before the time comes that someone needs a tow i'd like to know where is safe to hook to, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any ever have a hitch if not use the area where the bumper connects to the frame..

that is what i used to use

Crossmembers work good too.

davidmmm69 said:
any ever have a hitch if not use the area where the bumper connects to the frame..

that is what i used to use

Please expound on this. I'm sure that you are not suggesting that you hook up to the bumper, but the frame. Right? NEVER HOOK UP TO A BUMPER!!! I'VE SEEN WAY TOO MANY BUMPERS PULLED OFF.

[steps onto soap box] When ever you go offroading, you should always have a tow point, front and back. I will not pull someone out of a jam without a tow point. It's much too easy to dammage something, and then they expect you to pay for the dammage. [steps off soapbox]

of course the frame..
used to go wheelin weekly back in the day.. back in the late 80's when i hadsome pretty awesome trucks..

had tow hooks mounted to the frame just in front of the rear bumper..

I hear you on the do not use the bumper..as some of todays bumpers can not handle any stress at all.
all chrome and no go..

tell your buddies to spend $20 and get tow hooks.... they even come with mounting hardware and if you know where to look, you can get all 4 with hardware for $20

Definately tell them to go buy some tow hooks. They dont cost much and are a must if they are trying to offroad at all. When something gets bent from pulling fro mthe wrong spot they will wish they had gotten some good hooks.

Back