Towing a motorcycle trailer on I-5; don't use OD? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing a motorcycle trailer on I-5; don't use OD?

saxon

Reaction score
City, State
seattle, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 & '93 EB, 4WD, 4-door
model: '91 4WD EB, 207k miles.

X bought for one and only one reason: towing an open three rail motorcycle trailer with two vintage GP bikes on it (along with maybe 200 lbs. of gear in the back of the X) from Seattle to Kent, WA and from Seattle to Portland, OR about 14 times a year and maybe four yearly round trip drives to Laguna Seca (monterey, CA), San Francisco, Reno, and Salt lake City.

Trailer will weigh at most 1,000 lbs. including the two bikes and the gas cans (everything else is inside the X). Generally only one person in car and I only weigh 145 lbs. Other that several shake down drives to see if the repairs are working correctly, ALL of its miles will be highway miles.

There are a few hills between Seattle and Portland and some large hills in S. Oregon for trips to Laguna Seca. Lots of hills between here and Reno and Salt Lake.

With that load, can I use OD when I'm tooling down I-5? In OD all the time but turn OD off when going up the larger hills?

If I had known that the A4LD :mad: was the weak link, I might not have bought it but I'm committed to the X now. :) If my external A4LD rebuild doesn't fix the transmission, I will probably buy a used one to last this summer (fingers crossed) and rebuild my old one myself (with both hard and soft parts replaced).

Back