Motorcycle trailers and tongue weights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Motorcycle trailers and tongue weights

2000EB4x4inGA

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Limited 4x4
Is there a class 4 hitch for an explorer? I have a motorcycle and am thinking about getting a type of trailer that just rest the motorcycle on the hitch...kinda hard to explain.

http://www.kwmarketing.com/TC-one-DDMTS.htm

I am curious if my bike is very close to the 500 lb tongue limit is there something i can do to reinforce it etc to make sure i dont damage my X.

Thanks guys

Does it hurt anything having 500 lbs on the tongue etc?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a factory hitch? I don't know of any class 4 hitches for the X. Better weigh your bike and carrier. With that much dead weight on your receiver your headlights will be pointing straight up :)

Originally posted by 2000EB4x4inGA
Is there a class 4 hitch for an explorer? I have a motorcycle and am thinking about getting a type of trailer that just rest the motorcycle on the hitch...kinda hard to explain.

http://www.kwmarketing.com/TC-one-DDMTS.htm

I am curious if my bike is very close to the 500 lb tongue limit is there something i can do to reinforce it etc to make sure i dont damage my X.

Thanks guys

Does it hurt anything having 500 lbs on the tongue etc?

Tongue weight should be about 10% of the total trailer weight trailer& bike combined. If you are towing with just one front tire in the air and the other on the ground you should be fine. But if you have a hitch that holds the entire weight of the bike in the air you may indeed have to upgrade to the Class IV hitch..

Does it hurt anything by having 500lbs of tongue weight? No. You will just want to compensate for the weight on the rear with an add-a-leaf or maybe an airbag setup.

i am thinkin about gettin a thing just like that for my 4 wheeler and i had the same question...like how do they come to limit of the tounge?? im gonna be just a few pounds shy of the 500lb tounge weight and i dont want it snapin off while im drivin...i know i will add a leaf so the rear wont sag so much but im worried about the hitch holdin up...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

The main reason for most tongue weight limits is strain on the suspension. The truck can handle a heavier tongue load, but you'll most likely get accelerated spring sag.

I recommend an air leveling system if you're gonna tow often with a tongue weight of over 200 lbs. Explorer Express has a great kit.

Originally posted by pmpinurgrl
im gonna be just a few pounds shy of the 500lb tounge weight and i dont want it snapin off while im drivin...i know i will add a leaf so the rear wont sag so much but im worried about the hitch holdin up...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

Get a Peterbuilt or a Kenworth. Both should hold 500lb tongue weight with no problem. Even though I'm sure your tongue weight will be much less.

Back