Towing a trailer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing a trailer

GBR-RACING

Reaction score
I have a '99 4 door and 4WD Explorer.
It does NOT have the towing package. I am looking for help in finding out what I need
to make my Explorer (4.0) capable of towing
around 5500lbs. Do I need to change both
diffs? And what is the best towing ration?
A 3.73??? Where can I get the best parts and the right prices?
Anyone know of any good shops in Orange County California?? Thanks for your help.

I think you would be pleasantly surprised at how much your Explorer can pull. I assume you no longer have your owners manual? I have a 97 Sport and that information is printer on the bumper. Anyway, the amount of weight you can tow is a based on a few factors: Engine size, transmission type, gear ratio, suspension etc… Without all this information, it is difficult to confidently determine the amount you can pull. I would go to a Ford dealer and simply ask a mechanic. You may find that you need to do very little to your Explorer to be able to comfortably pull over 2.5 tons.

------------------
Rock'n 97 Sport 4X4

Oh ya, welcome to the best Explorer web site on the net.

Don’t forget about using the search button Rick has included. Sometimes you find your question has already been discussed at length and you never know, maybe you can find the answers your looking for. Anyway, welcome.

------------------
Rock'n 97 Sport 4X4

Just to shed a little light on the subject:

From my 99 owner's manual, the best that a 4 door with the 4.0 OHV engine can pull is 4680 lbs. That is with an auto and 3.73 gears. With a manual tranny, it is much less. It also states that any weight over 3500 lbs. requires a weight distributing hitch according to Ford.

Now, that being said, if you are going to try it anyway, I'd recommend 4.10 gears, a tranny cooler, and possibly an oil cooler. A bigger radiator would help as well, if you can find one. You will be putting considerable strain on the engine and tranny by lugging around twice the weight that it normally pulls.

Don't use a bumper mounted ball for anything over 3500 pounds. Don't buy a hitch that mounts to the bumper. Your best bet is to get one that mounts to the frame, and it is preferred, especially with that weight, to get a weight distributing hitch as Ford mentions. Tongue weight should be 5-10% of the trailer weight, preferably closer to 10%, particularly if you plan to take it at freeway speeds.

One unfortunate feature on Explorers is that they tend to sag in the rear if you put much weight back there. A set of add-a-leafs will stiffen up the back a bit, and will lift it an inch or two as well, which should help for towing.

BTW, the bumper stamping only lists the amount you can tow with the bumper; not with a frame mounted hitch.

And another BTW, if you do choose to do a gear change, it is a perfect opportunity to have a limited slip differential (or even a locker if you do much off road driving) put in the rear, at least. It'll help you if you tow a boat, as well as off road and in the snow.

Some day, I'll share some of the towing stories from when I had a boat. Some of what I've seen and done is quite amusing. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Tom

Oh, by the way, you didn't mention whether you had the OHV or the SOHC engine. The SOHC is considerably more powerful, and as a result, can pull about 1000 pounds more. That alone will put you in the 5500 pound category if you have the 3.73 or 4.10 gears. If it's like my 99, it already has an auxiliary tranny cooler, so you wouldn't need that. It also has 2 extra quarts of coolant capacity over the OHV engine.

[This message has been edited by Tom Wilk (edited 02-02-2000).]

Back