Towing Brakes?? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing Brakes??

I wouldn't call the 4.0 "gutless". Maybe it's the manual trans/rear end gears that I have, but it pulls through all the gears if you can get above 2600 RPM. I had to get on it this afternoon, and rode 2nd up to 65, and it was barely breaking 5500 RPM

I think we can agree that the 4.0 is gutless, now it's not a terrible engine.. it served me very well and I was happy with it, the gas millage was great! I would leave from Dallas to galveston and still have a quarter of a tank left 5 people with luggage, it would revv to 3 to 4k easy but it had some get go, now when I added a trailer is when my 2002 passed away to car heaven lol!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think we can agree that the 4.0 is gutless, now it's not a terrible engine.. it served me very well and I was happy with it, the gas millage was great!

My other car is a Ranger with a 2.3, or a Jetta with a 2.0...

Neither of those are exactly gutsy motors...

Yes, it is. Source: I did it to my 2002. Just got the 2" receiver and the 7-pin harness from a Mounty at the Junkyard, pulled mine off, put that one on, plugged and played.

I also spliced the 4-pin back on, with some creative re-working of the bracket and both connectors work for lights (I don't have a brake controller yet, so I wasn't able to check that, or the Accy line)

for good measure, I blasted the rust off and gave it a good paint job in black with UV-resistant clearcoat - did the same painting on the mating surfaces of the frame.

How hard is it to swap out the hitches?
Bob T
:usa:

How hard is it to swap out the hitches?
Bob T
:usa:
Just four bolts I believe.

It was 6 on my 2002.

Of course, that was after you
  1. remove the taillights (2 screws ea)
  2. remove the bumper cover (#varies with trim pkg, look for fasteners around the edges, as well as 2 bolts below the taillights)

You will also probably need a pry bar of some length to remove the hitch from the frame. At the junkyard, I used a driveshaft from a truck.

I strongly recommend air tools for remove and install.

Also, I really recommend a very thorough inspection of any junkyard hitches. particular areas to check oar in the barrel that the 7-blade plug passes through, and all the weld joints. Around here, I've seen some that were badly rusted enough to be unsafe for use.

That would be more difficult than just swapping an OE unit. And it would look funny.

Yeah, don't get one of the aftermarket hitches. They hang down really low and don't look right.

Yeah, don't get one of the aftermarket hitches. They hang down really low and don't look right.

Another issue is if the tongue weight is at the maximum back of the Explorer sits down low. It may cause the hitch to drag or keep you from putting the tongue jack down to unhook the trailer.

That would be more difficult than just swapping an OE unit. And it would look funny.

How is it more difficult? Just bolt and go, 3 of the bolts are already there and only have to fish one.

Looks fine to me, I've seen quite a few like this.

13112_2008~Ford~Explorer_13_1000.jpg

img050.jpg

How is it more difficult? Just bolt and go, 3 of the bolts are already there and only have to fish one.

Looks fine to me, I've seen quite a few like this.

13112_2008~Ford~Explorer_13_1000.jpg

img050.jpg

I'm sorry, but that's the stupidest looking thing on an Explorer I've seen. Not only does it not look professional, but it would have taken the same amount of time to just swap OE units.

And, an OE unit from a wrecker is <$30.00.

And, an OE unit from a wrecker is <$30.00.

Maybe a 1-1/4 unit. All the 2" units I'm finding on ebay and parts hotlines are higher than the aftermarket.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281684471413

2pt9uer.jpg

If I can get a factory 2" cheaper than the aftermarket sure I'll go with a factory one. But I'm not finding any... Texas salvage yards are greedy it seems.

Looks like an LKQ type website, the type of yard that's already pulled or pulls the parts for you. You need to go to a "you pull it" wrecking yard. Where you have to pull your own parts. Then you'll get it for $30 and your Ex will look like it came stock with a 2".

Looks like an LKQ type website, the type of yard that's already pulled or pulls the parts for you. You need to go to a "you pull it" wrecking yard. Where you have to pull your own parts. Then you'll get it for $30 and your Ex will look like it came stock with a 2".

I have not seen very many of those anymore, I think they're fading out due to liability reasons. The last time I did go to one they would not let me drive back there, I had to walk about a mile, I certainly can't carry that big of a hitch that far.

There's 4 good ones here in Atlanta. About an hours drive one way to each one. There kind of like candy/toy stores for adults.

Back