Towing Capacity and Hitch Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing Capacity and Hitch Question

Neptune1

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi all,
We have a 2010 XLT 6 cyl Explorer. Currently it has the 1-1/4 hitch on it that has a towing capacity of 3500. We want to tow a small Travel Trailer that is 18 ft long, and has a dry weight of 3200.

I'd like to get a heavier duty hitch. Here are a couple of questions:
1-which class hitch do I need for a small travel trailer that has a weight of 3200?
2-what is the towing capacity of that engine on this vehicle?
3-does this Explorer already have a tow package since it has the smaller hitch already?
4-would i need an extra transmission cooler?

thanks in adance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only hitch upgrade available is to a Class III hitch (2" Reciever).

If it were me, and knowing the dry weight is 3200, I'd never even try it on the 1 1/4" inch hitch. For starters, the maximum weight allowed on the 1 1/4 hitch (tongue weight) is 350 lbs, and you should be at 320 to 480 lbs assuming 10-15% on the hitch - and that's dry weight.

For that, you need to bump up to the class III hitch. The bad news is the hitch is welded into the frame. They make one that will go underneath your existing hitch, but it will look weird. No idea on weight capacity for that one. Otherwise, a replacement could be welded into place by a body shop that would be willing - good luck.

The class II hitch also means you have 3.55 gears. You are limited to .3500 lbs with that gearset, even if you bump up to the class III hitch. 4.0 Explorers with tow package got 3.73 gears and a tow capacity of around 5200 lbs. (The presence of the 1 1/4 hitch also means you do NOT have the tow package.).

Given the history of the transmission behind the 4.0 in these, another cooler would not be a bad idea.

To be honest, a better bet would be to get either a smaller trailer or a vehicle equipped to pull more weight. Trailer manufacturers are notorious for posting low dry weights, and once the owner loads it up they are way heavier. I also like to have more margin for error - meaning if I'm going to be towing for distance, I like to be under my maximums to give more margin for error.

The explorer is capable when properly equipped (The 4.6 equipped ones can tow over 7000 lbs).

Good luck.

The hitch is welded to the frame on 4th gens. You can’t swap it. Even if it had the right hitch I wouldn’t tow with the 5r55 tranny’s. It’ll torch even with an external cooler.

The hitch is welded but with some effort people replaced it with the 3rd generation hitch that is a perfect match. It took me couple of hours.

OEM Hitch upgrade from Class II to Class III/IV on Gen 4, 07 Explorer

My 07 with small receiver actually has the tranny cooler so a small 3500 lb trailer should not be an issue. Check the cooler lines going from the radiator and you may have the factory tranny cooler.

My 2006 V6 with factory 1 1/4 inch hitch Also came with the factory trans cooler in front of the radiator. I did the bolt on 2 inch receiver below the factory hitch.
I tow a Small camper trailer which ends up weighing about 3300 pounds when loaded, and when combined with four or five people in the Explorer, I wouldn’t want to pull anymore.
A lot of people tend to focus on the trailer weight and forget about the combination weight of the two vehicles. The engine and transmission don’t care whether the weight is in the explorer or in the trailer, and I believe the owners manual lists A Maximum GCWR Of 8000 pounds for the V-6 equipped with 3.55 axles. If equipped with the 373 axles, the max GCWR goes to 10,000 pounds.
I have access to a scale near my home, and have frequently visited on our way to our trip. The maximum combined weight I have ever recorded was 9600 pounds, and I wouldn’t recommend it.
By the way, that was fairly flat cruising, with OD button off so trans stayed in 4th gear with lockup for the majority of the highway miles.

Back