Towing capacity question

Reejerey

Reaction score
City, State
SLC UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XL 2 dr 4x4 manual
Hey all,

So I've searched but haven't come up with an answer yet so here goes.

I recently acquired a 92 2 dr XL 4x4 with 3.55 gears was wondering what the towing capacity on this thing is. It didn't come with the owners manual so I can't check there, and the only list I can find here is for the 4dr models. Any help would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look on the bumper. The black drop down piece with the ball on it tells the weight.

I dont have the towing package, but just the ball on the bumper and I believe its 3000 or 3500 lbs.

its manual trans, I thought I had that in there... guess not. As far as the bumper, Its got a class III reciever hitch, What I am concerned with is the towing capacity of the vehicle itself, not how much load the bumper is supposed to be rated for.

According to my owners manual for a 93 with a manual transmission with 3.27 rear it's 1,900 Lbs. and with a 3.73 rear it's 2,900. I didn't see your 3.55 but I would think it's somewhere between that.

This is for two door models.

Check my signature for a link to Explorer and Ranger owner's manuals

SPORTEXP - thankyou for checking that for me, I'm going to assume its around 2400 lbs

FIXXXER - The manuals in your link only go back to 96 as far as I could see, but thankyou for that excellent reference.

I had a 91 with a manual trans, pretty sure it was a 3.73 and I'm pretty sure seeing 5000 lbs as the max written on the truck. I could be wrong though. I would hope that the first gens can tow more then a ton, cause if not then thats kinda patethic for a full frame suv

Reejerey, you are partially right, I actually have from 95-2009 but no 91-94, except my own copy of the 93 owners guide that I have a hard-copy of. If anyone has the pdf versions of the 91-94 Explorer's or Ranger's I'd love to get a copy

Knowing the weak link in the drivetrain is the Transmissions...I wouldn't tow more than 2000 with a M/T and 3.55 gears.

Ryan

I had a 91 with a manual trans, pretty sure it was a 3.73 and I'm pretty sure seeing 5000 lbs as the max written on the truck. I could be wrong though. I would hope that the first gens can tow more then a ton, cause if not then thats kinda patethic for a full frame suv

It's true that the can tow more than 5,000 according to the owners manual an automatic transmission two door with 3.73 rear is rated at 5,700. But with a manual transmission the clutch is the weak link. And the A4LD automatic is just weak with prolonged towing it will fail.

just looked at mine and with 3.73 gears my bumper is stamped with the rateing 3500lb .so i'm not sure if the bumper you got is correct ..i know for a fact that the one on mine is the one from the factory and never has been removed .

the bumper rating is just how much the bumper can handle. Nothing to do with what the vehicle can handle

The other thing to consider is length of what you can safely tow. The Explorer has a relatively short wheel base...

Mike

a couple of years ago i was pulling a trailer that was well beyond the towing capacity, gusing around 6000lb. I was on relivivly flat freeway but the X did not like it one bit. In order for it do not shake apart i had to cruise at about 60. Unfortunitally the trans couldn't make up its mind about which gear it wanted to be in. The other problem was that because i was pulling too much it was dumping extra fuel into the engine that wasn't getting burned the the whole front of the trailer was conered with an oily film.

The only thing i tow with my X is my jetski (about 1200lb with trailer) I'm sure i could get a double trailer and still be fine but i dont really recomend using the X to tow much of anything. If you need to do some heavy towing find and old F150 for cheap.

If you want to tow with an X, buy a 5.0L 2WD Explorer, or a 3rd Gen 4.6L.

Ryan

RustBucket,

From the description you've given, I'd say you overheated the auto tranny and ATF came out of the vent tube (this has happened to me). Also, if the tranny can't decide what gear to be in, that's because you're not towing with the OD off. I don't think I would have attempted 60 mph with that much weight, either.

For many years, I routinely towed a relatively light sailboat with my 94 Explorer, never had a problem. I now use it primarily for towing a fairly heavy utility trailer for retrieving firewood. Again, no real problems, but I don't drive too fast with it.

Mike

Yeah I don't plan on towing much that is too heavy with it, maybe a utility trailer or a couple quads or a pop up camper. I was just getting an idea of what it was capable of handling. For heavy towing I've got an 82 F-250.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i know my 93 sport 4x4 can tow 6800 with little to no problem. I know this cause i had to weigh the trailer to get paid for the move by the army. now on uphills it would slow down a little bit but it maintained highway speeds.

Back