• Register Today It's free!

Towing Lights

ChadderMountain

Reaction score
City, State
Morrisdale, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a 1999 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0. I got a plug behind both tail lights. One on each side. Would somebody tell me how and if they are for towing and which side do I use. Also, where can I get an adapter or plug for the wiring harness to use for the trailer that plugs in to the wiring. Is there a plug somewhere under the dash that I could just plug in the electric brake controller?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, the plugs behind the taillights are to plug in a towing harness. Look in the cargo panel where the jack is, the harness may be in there. I've seen them on eBay cheap. The harness has the standard flat 4 plug. There is no prewiring for a brake controller.

Ok. Now I am having starter issues. I drove 2 places and the Mountaineer started fine. I went to Advance Auto Parts (coinsidence) and that is where it died. i canhear the starter engage but won't crank. The solenoid is right on the starter so I am assuming I need a new starter. the batter is fine and i even tried to jump it just in case and nothing. The starter is the original and I have 77,000 miles on my 1999 Mountaineer. If there is anything else for me to look at before spending $132.00 on a starter, please let me know. I hear the starter engage but that is it and doesn't crank.

try tapping on it, it might get it to turn over

I tried that but to no prevail. I rapped it pretty good. It is pretty rusty and can tell it was about to go as the owner before me left it set for about a year.

Back