Towing Package with Rear Back up Camera | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing Package with Rear Back up Camera

brianexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
New England
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Explorer Limited 4WD
Hi All,

New member here and did a search, but couldn't find anything with my specific model in mind. I'm in the market for a '13 Explorer Limited and plan on getting it with all of the options.

I want the towing package, but I see that there is a separate back up sensor that comes along with it. Does it still offer the same advantages as the regular rear back up camera (video, etc.) or is it just an audible tone?

Any help would be appreciated! If I lose out on any functionality, I'll drop the towing package because the back up camera is a must.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

we have a 2011 XLT with 202A package and tow package. It does have the rear camera as well as audible back up tone

we have a 2011 XLT with 202A package and tow package. It does have the rear camera as well as audible back up tone
That's great, glad to hear it works the same way. I hate when you get one thing that bumps the usability of something else.

Thanks for clearing that up!

I want the towing package, but I see that there is a separate back up sensor that comes along with it. Does it still offer the same advantages as the regular rear back up camera (video, etc.) or is it just an audible tone?

There is no separate sensor, it's just that the towing package comes standard w/ the rear sensors (since the Limited also comes standard w/ the rear sensors it's redundant, but if you were ordering a base w/ the towing package it would then make sense)

No prob!

I too have a 2013 Limited w/ 302A pkg & towing. The camera eye is right above the license plate below the chrome trim and it will give you a nice view of what you're towing. Sensors are still there too. BTW, you will love the active "curving lines" which appear in the screen when you turn the wheel while backing. I'm spoiled...

:D

Hi All,

New member here and did a search, but couldn't find anything with my specific model in mind. I'm in the market for a '13 Explorer Limited and plan on getting it with all of the options.

Any help would be appreciated! If I lose out on any functionality, I'll drop the towing package because the back up camera is a must.

Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum brianveg.:wavey:
As you can see, the members here are very helpful. Happy shopping. :):thumbsup:

Peter

I too have a 2013 Limited w/ 302A pkg & towing. The camera eye is right above the license plate below the chrome trim and it will give you a nice view of what you're towing. Sensors are still there too. BTW, you will love the active "curving lines" which appear in the screen when you turn the wheel while backing. I'm spoiled...

Sorry, I'm thread jacking here .. I too have a question about towing package (i'm also still in market for a 13 limited). My dealer is throwing in tow package in my price. My question is, when you get the tow package, is the connector area hidden? is it covered with the lower middle section of the bumper where it looks like a cover (and just open it up whenever I need to connect the trailer)? Sorry, I have no idea how it looks. I don't want to see a open up area with all the wires and metal pieces hanging out.

edit:
Fount a photo where the connection section under the bumper, looks like you just have to remove the plastic to open it up and cover it whenever you are not using.

http://reviews.carreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/2011_ford_explorer_58.jpg
http://assets.clickmotive.com/forddig/Ford/Explorer/2013/BP3TT-FULL-EXT/Image[_Ford_Explorer_2013_1_1._302A.K8F..UH..88C.85B.53M.89W.642.52T.439.16N.67B.44C.AWD.LTD.998.173.]/EXT/2/vehicle.png?w=750

But I'll wait for an answer from actual owners :)

Sorry, I'm thread jacking here .. I too have a question about towing package (i'm also still in market for a 13 limited). My dealer is throwing in tow package in my price. My question is, when you get the tow package, is the connector area hidden? is it covered with the lower middle section of the bumper where it looks like a cover (and just open it up whenever I need to connect the trailer)? Sorry, I have no idea how it looks. I don't want to see a open up area with all the wires and metal pieces hanging out.

edit:
Fount a photo where the connection section under the bumper, looks like you just have to remove the plastic to open it up and cover it whenever you are not using.

http://reviews.carreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/2011_ford_explorer_58.jpg
http://assets.clickmotive.com/forddig/Ford/Explorer/2013/BP3TT-FULL-EXT/Image[_Ford_Explorer_2013_1_1._302A.K8F..UH..88C.85B.53M.89W.642.52T.439.16N.67B.44C.AWD.LTD.998.173.]/EXT/2/vehicle.png?w=750

But I'll wait for an answer from actual owners :)

I have the towing package on my Limited. You are correct. There is a plastic cover over the tow connection and electrical connection. You have to remove it in order to tow something.

Are the curving lines only with the 302A package? I have the rear camera, but I don't have the curving lines when I turn the wheel while backing. My Limited came with the 301A package.

I have the towing package on my Limited. You are correct. There is a plastic cover over the tow connection and electrical connection. You have to remove it in order to tow something.

thanks for the answer mang!

Are the curving lines only with the 302A package? I have the rear camera, but I don't have the curving lines when I turn the wheel while backing. My Limited came with the 301A package.
I believe the curved/moving lines are only on those with Active Park Assist. If you have that and no moving lines then you have to go and set the rear view camera up for Active and Fixed.

Peter

I believe the curved/moving lines are only on those with Active Park Assist. If you have that and no moving lines then you have to go and set the rear view camera up for Active and Fixed.

Peter

Thanks Peter.

I don't have Active Park Assist so I don't have the moving lines then.

...I want the towing package, but I see that there is a separate back up sensor that comes along with it. Does it still offer the same advantages as the regular rear back up camera (video, etc.) or is it just an audible tone?...
...My question is, when you get the tow package, is the connector area hidden?...
Are the curving lines only with the 302A package?...
brianveg, velanzia, & boltsfan17,

I see all the questions in the thread were already jumped on and answered! :eek: LOL

As you probably noticed, the community here is amazing. :D As a quick add-on to the awesome answers, you can grab a digital copy of the Owner Guide here:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

It’s 100% free, so download away! :thumbsup:

There is no separate sensor, it's just that the towing package comes standard w/ the rear sensors (since the Limited also comes standard w/ the rear sensors it's redundant, but if you were ordering a base w/ the towing package it would then make sense)
...The camera eye is right above the license plate below the chrome trim and it will give you a nice view of what you're towing...
...There is a plastic cover over the tow connection and electrical connection. You have to remove it in order to tow something.
...If you have that and no moving lines then you have to go and set the rear view camera up for Active and Fixed...
new to ford, 13Sport, grrtrainman, boltsfan17, & Peter,

Full disclosure: You guys make my job so much easier. :cool:

Cory

Full disclosure: You guys make my job so much easier. :cool:

I've made a few jobs at Ford hell over the past 6 months, so I'm due for helping make others job's easier ;)

I've made a few jobs at Ford hell over the past 6 months, so I'm due for helping make others job's easier ;)
Well, I’m glad you’re making my job easier, 13Sport. :D Check in any time via PM for an order status. :thumbsup:

Cory

Welcome to the Forum brianveg.:wavey:
As you can see, the members here are very helpful. Happy shopping. :):thumbsup:

Peter
Thanks for the welcome and well wishes! You're definitely right. I've been part of other forums in the past that weren't quite as welcoming, so it's greatly appreciated. I'll be sure to post pictures of my new vehicle when it's ordered and delivered!

Thanks again.

Back