• Register Today It's free!

Towing Suspension Question

esteskid

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2000 Explorer Sport, and I was planning to add a hitch to tow a small boat.

However, the suspension on it is completely shot. I am going to need to replace front and rear shocks, and will probably replace the leaf springs to even out the ride height.

With the idea of towing in mind, does anyone have aftermarket suspension suggestions? I could just go with the stock replacement shop parts, but I was curious if anyone has an strong opinion on aftermarket ones.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Swap out the rear leaf spring with those off a 4 door. They are a leaf pack as apposed to a single spring. If you need even more height in the rear get Monroe load adjust shocks. They have a spring built into the shock.

For the front it's up to you. Monroe and rancho are both good choices.

the front monroe refelexes are $25 ea from a few sellers on ebay. They are getting discontinued. Can't go wrong there, but you don't get the shocktober deal.

The coilovers in the back will raise your truck in the back - the explorer will look like those heavy duty pickups for piling in lots of crap that are a bit higher in the rear. As for putting weight on the crossmember remember that every limited explorer had air helper suspension, and air springs carry weight as well as metal ones. it was designed for it.

Also suggest es sway link poly bushings front and back, about 60 bucks for the kits. I also suggest ordering a stronger 7/16 bolt in the front, there is a cheap kit on Rockauto and you can reuse the bolt and toss the pencil eraser bushings.

If you are near an advance auto you can get them for 80 bucks, I got mine for 60 because I had a reward. There are 100 off 40 coupons.Yes they correct the sag.

Also http://www.ebay.com/itm/262595579630, but no rebate. Reflex is a step over sensatrac, but they are both very good. 50 for a pair

I have the leaf pack on my Sport and it's still pretty soft for towing.

Leaf pack + coil shocks may be the best combination. Air bags would be pretty cool.

Back